Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What older machine for me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-older-machine-me-t254994.html)

papple00 10-09-2014 08:27 AM

What older machine for me

I have two sewing machines, a Janome 4800 and a 1950 Featherweight. I keep the featherweight in Florida so that I don't have to transport the Janome back and forth each year. I would like to find a 1970's era sewing machine to take to Florida as there were times last year that I needed to do more than straight sewing.
Any suggestions from this group? I have looked at Singer Touch and Sews,, which I used to have, but am having trouble finding one that is in decent shape.
Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.
Pat

bearisgray 10-09-2014 08:33 AM

Depends on how much you are willing to pay -

I would recommend a Bernina or a Pfaff in a heartbeat - but those usually are comparatively expensive for older machines.

KenmoreRulesAll 10-09-2014 08:58 AM

Kenmore, Kenmore, Kenmore!

Skyangel 10-09-2014 09:06 AM

Even though I have two Featherweights, my go-to travel machine is an Elna Lotus. Mine is a 1976 SP model. It has ZZ and utility stitches, although I would not use it for heavy sewing. It had fold-up sides and is lightweight (although not as lightweight as a newer plastic machine). I got mine at a garage sale for $5 but do usually see them listed for more.
I took mine to Florida last year in my carry-on bag as I was going to be in a hotel room with no car while my husband was in class all week. I also took a pre-cut quilt project, and a cutting mat. The rotary cutter, scissors, and other sharp items were packed in our checked bag. It worked out great.

Another good choice would be one of the small Kenmores (158.10xx). I have had a couple of them (a 1040 and a 1050) and they are sweet little machines.

J Miller 10-09-2014 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6921529)
Kenmore, Kenmore, Kenmore!

A 70s 158- series Kenmore was my first thought. Inexpensive, good quality, great multiple stitches and most are all steel inside.

Joe

Mrs. SewNSew 10-09-2014 09:28 AM

If it's one you don't need to transport, I was thinking Kenmore too! Yes Berninas, Pfaffs and Elnas are also good choices so keep your eyes open. My main machine is an Elna and you can get a wide variety of cams for them.

Cari-in-Oly 10-09-2014 10:40 AM

if you want a machine that will stay in Florida to keep your FW company, I vote for a 1960's Brother machine. They can usually be found for a lot less money than other big name machines and are every bit as much a solid workhorse. Just sayin'.....

Cari

Rodney 10-09-2014 10:46 AM

Is the machine traveling back and forth with you or living in Florida? Tough question for me. There's so many good machines out there that it's hard to narrow it down.
Rodney

papple00 10-09-2014 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6921635)
Is the machine traveling back and forth with you or living in Florida? Tough question for me. There's so many good machines out there that it's hard to narrow it down.
Rodney

I am thinking it will stay in Florida. I just don't like the idea of my Janome "bouncing" around in the car. I do have it in a good case but still......with all the electronics in our machines today you just never know!

miriam 10-09-2014 02:57 PM

There are so many machines from that time period. Try to find one that doesn't have plastic gears... It sounds like you are wanting something that does more than straight stitch. One with drop in disks will be easier to maintain and use than one with a camstack. Kenmore, anything European, White, Brother... tons and tons of Japanese machines - some better than others. Test drive before you buy see what feels good to you. Don't take our word for it. As a rule, the European machines are well made and a delight to sew with but complicated. Kenmore's some times run in reverse. Some of the Japanese machines have left home needle positions. Test. Test. Test.