Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   what is this for/ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-t208904.html)

karate lady 12-20-2012 04:31 PM

what is this for/

2 Attachment(s)
I have a kenmore, not an antique, but when I was cleaning it last week I saw a lever in the head part and I have no idea what it is for. Nothing in the book either. Thought might be for the foot, but nothing happens that I can see when I move it. Here are two pics. one of the machine and one of the part marked 1 thr 4. Anybody know what it is for?

karate lady 12-20-2012 04:32 PM

Ooops 1 thr 3. smile

MaryMo 12-20-2012 04:37 PM

That lever is the pressure of your presser foot. When I am sewing on a napped fabric (like velvet or the soft micro suedes), I can lessen the pressure so that marks on not left on the fabric. I just have to remember to reset it when I go back to cottons.

There should be something in your manual; I remember reading about it once when I read mine but it's been so long ago.

jokir44 12-20-2012 04:42 PM

I'm wondering if it might be to regulate the pressure of your foot. I never thought there was much difference whichever way I turn mine.

J Miller 12-20-2012 05:46 PM

1-2-3 with an arrow pointing to the image of the pressure foot. Pressure foot tension control without a doubt.

Joe

karate lady 12-20-2012 07:01 PM

well I had figured that was it, but I don't see as anything happens when I move it. So I wondered if it was some kind of magic they didn't want to tell me about. :-)

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5731960)
1-2-3 with an arrow pointing to the image of the pressure foot. Pressure foot tension control without a doubt.

Joe

pennycandy 12-20-2012 11:04 PM

I never notice any difference in the presser foot when I change the tension. I do notice a difference when I stitch. Mostly I use it when I'm doing gathering stitches. If I lower the pressure the fabric glides thru at a faster rate. It is easier to pull the gathering stitches.

J Miller 12-21-2012 07:52 AM

karate lady,

The only physical thing that happens when you move the lever is the spring that applies tension to the foot is compressed or released a bit.

Joe

karate lady 12-21-2012 11:06 AM

and under what conditions other than the one lady sewing on velvet, would this be used and how in the world would I know. OK so I am still learning after 77 yrs. sigh...

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5732895)
karate lady,

The only physical thing that happens when you move the lever is the spring that applies tension to the foot is compressed or released a bit.

Joe

quiltingweb 12-24-2012 10:09 PM

Some say you can try free motion quilting by dropping the feed dogs and zero pressure on the presser foot. It did not work for me.