Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What are these? questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-these-questions-t252209.html)

Mrs. SewNSew 08-20-2014 03:13 PM

What are these? questions

1 Attachment(s)
I found a Singer box with some accessories at the local thrift for 2.00 and bought it mostly for the box and the Singer walking foot. It's always nice to have a box for the accessories for each machine and I've recently fixed up some slant needle machines so I am happy to get a walking foot for them.
I don't know what machine the plates fit and the one has a raised center so no idea what that's about. I have a couple of those little round white plastic things..what is that? There's some snap on feet but no part to snap to, an interesting buttonhole attachment. I'm not sure if it's all there but it has a spring loaded part and kinda looks like you would put a button in the back and it would make the hole the right size?

I'm especially curious about the two parts in the lower right of the photo. One is a clear plastic hopping foot with a curved spring back and the other is hinged with a spring but I have no idea what it is.

QuiltingVagabond 08-20-2014 03:21 PM

The little white round thing goes on the horizontal spool pin to hold the tall narrow spools like Gutermann...
You are right about the buttonholer - button goes in the back and machine would do the sizing automatically.

I had these accessories with my previous Singer Touch N Sew, era 1972 or so...

Mrs. SewNSew 08-20-2014 04:16 PM

Thank you. It's weird but I keep seeing boxes of accessories for T $ S's...no machines just the accessories.

JudyTheSewer 08-20-2014 04:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have these accessories that came with an Athena 2000 TouchTronic machine. I bought the machine with its attachments because I wanted the slant walking foot and the slant darning foot. Here are some pages from my manual that identify the different accessories:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]488479[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]488480[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]488481[/ATTACH]

Let me know if you still have questions and I'll try to find the answer.

Mrs. SewNSew 08-20-2014 08:08 PM

Thank you Judy! That is sooo helpful! Seeing the part the feet clip into rang a bell for me and I was able to find the right part for them so I can use them now too!

Mrs. SewNSew 08-20-2014 08:15 PM

Oh cool! I just found the free on-line manual for it so I can check out the buttonhole thing and see how it works too!

JudyTheSewer 08-21-2014 08:36 AM

Oh good, I'm glad you found the part you need for using the feet.

I had fun playing with the chain stitch accessories. It took a bit of fiddling but I did get it to work. The stitches don't look any better than the Wilcox & Gibbs chainstitch machine so I'm continuing on my hunt for a chainstitch that is nice enough to do redwork using it.

Mrs. SewNSew 08-21-2014 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 6853867)
Oh good, I'm glad you found the part you need for using the feet.

I had fun playing with the chain stitch accessories. It took a bit of fiddling but I did get it to work. The stitches don't look any better than the Wilcox & Gibbs chainstitch machine so I'm continuing on my hunt for a chainstitch that is nice enough to do redwork using it.

In looking at it closely I am thinking I could only use the chanstitch with the 2000 machine. It lookslike you have to use the bobbin cover as well as the plate. Is that correct?

JudyTheSewer 08-21-2014 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 6853955)
In looking at it closely I am thinking I could only use the chanstitch with the 2000 machine. It lookslike you have to use the bobbin cover as well as the plate. Is that correct?

Yeah, the top throat plate in your picture is for the chain stitch feature and you have to insert that bobbin cover (spider?) as well.

I'm not sure about this only working on the Athena 2000 but I looked at the T&S 758 manual and it does say you need 3 things to chainstitch on the T&S: the bobbin cover, the throat plate, and a special thread guide. Also, the pic of the T&S throat plate looks different than the one in your picture and the Athena manual. So, I suspect that your accessories are from the Athena 2000 machine and won't work on T&S's. I'm not sure though.

pennycandy 08-21-2014 07:54 PM

My 1036 has some of the same feet and plates but not the chain stitch. The sewing machine has a setting to make buttonholes. You can slide the back part of the buttonholer forward to insert a button and slide it back to hold the button. This will give you the correct size buttonhole.