Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What is it with Vintage Japanese Sewing Machines (RETRO) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-vintage-japanese-sewing-machines-retro-t254068.html)

singerguy 09-20-2014 09:19 AM

What is it with Vintage Japanese Sewing Machines (RETRO)

are all japanese SW (the retro look with ZZ) any special? reason i asked is i never had any fascination with the retro sewing machines or the japanese SW. if i peruse CL/eBAY i always pass on these machines. and i don't have and never had any of these sewing machines. if someone can convince me or veer me towards liking them please do so as i am curious and would like to know their uniqueness. my only machine with ZZ capability is the 401 and it's not even a dedicated ZZ machine. if ever i come to like the retro machines, what brand/model is the best with ZZ. maybe it's the look that is keeping me away from them. don't know but would like to know just how they are functionally. i do all kinds of sewing - leather, wool iPad/iphone cases, canvass and all. thanks.

Candace 09-20-2014 09:36 AM

Personally the "look" is what attracts me! They're built like tanks. For your purposes, I think they'd be ideal. However, for mine I generally pass on them if they're left homing machines. They don't piece well and since that's a main criteria for me, any left needle position machine doesn't live here. I would say buy one near you and in your price range and if you don't love it, rehome it.

costumegirl 09-20-2014 01:57 PM

Love those retro looks!! They are colourful and have lots of chrome - look like a vintage car!! - And they are solid to sew with :)

grandmasieg 09-20-2014 02:18 PM

I love my Morse straight stitch and she's hot pink in color. Perfect stitch and great for FMQ. When I need a zig zag stitch I go to my computerized Brother. I do have my eye out for a Morse with zig zag because I just love the Morse brand.

J Miller 09-20-2014 03:00 PM

The Japanese ZZ machines are all quieter than my Singers. Some of them sew better, but all of them sew as good as Singers.

They are much more interesting too look at as well.

Joe

miriam 09-20-2014 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by grandmasieg (Post 6897034)
I love my Morse straight stitch and she's hot pink in color. Perfect stitch and great for FMQ. When I need a zig zag stitch I go to my computerized Brother. I do have my eye out for a Morse with zig zag because I just love the Morse brand.

Morse was made by Brother. There are lots of machines that were made by Brother with various names.

Rodney 09-20-2014 07:23 PM

I also like 1950s cars. The Japanese zigzag machines picked up on the style of the cars being built in Detroit at the time. Not everyone likes the style of the 1950s. I like all the bells and whistles and chrome and the classic color combinations on the 1950s machines. I also like the variety of ways the various manufacturers came up with to do the same things like the cams for decorative stitches. The good thing about sewing machines is the sheer variety. You can find a machine you like no matter the style.
Rodney

Cari-in-Oly 09-20-2014 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6897260)
Morse was made by Brother. There are lots of machines that were made by Brother with various names.

There may have been an early connection, I have twin clones( 1954 or 1955) that are a Brother and a Morse, but after that Morse machines were built by Toyota. There are at least 20 Brother badge names that I know of.

Cari

Cari-in-Oly 09-20-2014 09:18 PM

Most of my machines are Japanese. I've had several Singers including a 401, 404 and a 500. Any of my Brother machines will out perform these Singers any day; are easier, less futzy to operate and are much better looking IMNSHO. You'll just have to get one and try it, they may not be for you. Everyone has their favorites.

Cari

miriam 09-21-2014 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 6897553)
Most of my machines are Japanese. I've had several Singers including a 401, 404 and a 500. Any of my Brother machines will out perform these Singers any day; are easier, less futzy to operate and are much better looking IMNSHO. You'll just have to get one and try it, they may not be for you. Everyone has their favorites.

Cari

I still like the Singer 403 and 503...

Maybe there were cross overs or buy outs among the Japanese companies.