Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   what is your ultimate must have machine for your collection? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-your-ultimate-must-have-machine-your-collection-t226042.html)

foufymaus 07-17-2013 08:34 PM

what is your ultimate must have machine for your collection?

I was just plotting and cruising the lists, want ads, thrifts, etc etc. While i was doing that I realized i was basically looking for two specific machines, the Bernina 1130 and the Pink Atlas (15 clone) two completely different machines from two different eras, but with the same back story and reasons why im looking for them.

The Atlas was the machine model my grand mother basically wore out from continuous usage, and the Bernina is the machine i grew up watching my mom sew on. If i were ever to purchase a 'modern' more up to date machine i think i'd go with a Bernina machine. Perhaps a series 8. Lol who needs a new car any way. Hahaha. Even my truck is 'vintage', 1979 chevy 4x4 *wink*

So what machines would be your must have machine?

francie yuhas 07-17-2013 09:31 PM

I have it! I sew on the Singer FW ,1947, that I learned to sew on! When I use it,I have such warm memories of sewing doll clothes and thence to garments,quilts,back packing tents,mountain jackets etc. I'll always remember the gentleness and patience my mother used with me as I learned. ( we used a razor blade for unsewing in those days!)

SteveH 07-17-2013 09:51 PM

My must have "was" a Grover and Baker. I am making the final payment on a layaway G&B treadle and it should ship late next week... They were the last of the major members of the "Combine" that I was missing.

Now for a new "must have".....

foufymaus 07-17-2013 10:03 PM

Awesome! Congrats on the FW! I remember my mom showing me how to use her bernina when i was 12. Its always been, "Mom's machine" so using it was a rare treat. Lol

foufymaus 07-17-2013 10:05 PM

Oh, you must post pics of the G&B when ya get her set up. :-) Ive never even heard of it before. Ill definitely have to do some googling :-D

SteveH 07-17-2013 10:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by foufymaus (Post 6183203)
Oh, you must post pics of the G&B when ya get her set up. :-) Ive never even heard of it before. Ill definitely have to do some googling :-D

Ok, how about a teaser or two for now...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]424497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424498[/ATTACH]

foufymaus 07-17-2013 10:55 PM

Wow that is one sweet machine! I love the lines.

miriam 07-17-2013 11:33 PM

I might already have my must have machine somewhere in my shop... I'll know it when I see it... Maybe I already let it go... Some do escape on occasion...

Cecilia S. 07-18-2013 04:22 AM

Grasshopper.

My life is empty and meaningless until I have a Grasshopper.

Hop hop.

lovelyl 07-18-2013 04:55 AM

Unfortunately, my "bucket list" for sewing machines is larger than the space I have. But, I really would love a Singer 301 and a Bernina 830 Record. And a little green Grasshopper...