Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Where do you buy your bobbins? Only 4 of the 12 I got from Joanne's worked for me :( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/where-do-you-buy-your-bobbins-only-4-12-i-got-joannes-worked-me-t305380.html)

sewythings 06-22-2019 01:53 PM

Where do you buy your bobbins? Only 4 of the 12 I got from Joanne's worked for me :(

I recently bought a 12 pack of class 15 bobbins from Joanne's and only 4 worked... Do I need special bobbins for older machines ?

The 8 were too tight to fit on the bobbin spindle thingy , and 4 fit like a glove. Tried on both my machines that take class 15 bobbins.

tohkatz68 06-22-2019 03:37 PM

I found bobbins, bobbin case (missing when I got my 301) from Singeronline.com. You put in your model # and they have a list of parts for machine. Also, they have parts for other brands besides Singer. They offer free shipping over $25.

cashs_mom 06-22-2019 03:47 PM

I bought bobbins for my 301/FW and the Rocketeer from Sew-Classic. They seemed to work well.

pennycandy 06-22-2019 05:51 PM

The class 66 bobbins that I bought at Joann's don't work in my treadle and I too had problems with some generic brand class 15 bobbins.

quiltedsunshine 06-22-2019 05:54 PM

We order all kinds of bobbins from Brewer Sewing Supply. The part numbers are #2518NS Bobbin Singer 15 class metal grade A and #2518T Bobbin Singer 15 class metal economy. The #2518NS are smoother and a little better made. You can probably find them online. We sell them for 40 cents each or 10 for $4.

tuckyquilter 06-22-2019 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewythings (Post 8268625)
I recently bought a 12 pack of class 15 bobbins from Joanne's and only 4 worked... Do I need special bobbins for older machines ?

The 8 were too tight to fit on the bobbin spindle thingy , and 4 fit like a glove. Tried on both my machines that take class 15 bobbins.

I buy a lot of bobbins from Sew-Classic as they all work, all the time. I run mostly vintage Singer machines.

sewythings 06-22-2019 06:13 PM

Looks like everyone buys their's from a special online store... no more Joannes for me!

klswift 06-23-2019 06:04 AM

I am puzzled. Joanns does not 'make' their notions. We buy them from Singer, Dritz, etc. So, if a package is defective, return it for your refund and send an email to the company who made them (they just may send you coupons or products). I think many of the companies mentioned in this thread are also buying their bobbins from the same sources. One problem I encounter WEEKLY is people coming in to purchase bobbins and not knowing there are different kinds - even just the basic flat or rounded. And some machines have a preference for plastic vs. metal.
But, no matter what, if it doesn't fit, return it.

bearisgray 06-23-2019 06:13 AM

I have also purchased some bobbins that did not work (I did buy the correct model/style) - they would not fit on the spindles, either.

I think most of them worked, so I just threw the ones that did not work in the waste basket.

sewythings 06-23-2019 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by klswift (Post 8268811)
I am puzzled. Joanns does not 'make' their notions. We buy them from Singer, Dritz, etc. So, if a package is defective, return it for your refund and send an email to the company who made them (they just may send you coupons or products). I think many of the companies mentioned in this thread are also buying their bobbins from the same sources. One problem I encounter WEEKLY is people coming in to purchase bobbins and not knowing there are different kinds - even just the basic flat or rounded. And some machines have a preference for plastic vs. metal.
But, no matter what, if it doesn't fit, return it.

I bought a 12 pack of Class 15 metal bobbins, Dritz brand. It says compatible for all class 15 singer machines, but only 4 worked. Unfortunately tossed my receipt because the first one I grabbed worked and I didn't notice until days later.

Looking online at the reviews for it I see a lot of 1 star comments now:

"They are not 7/16" wide and they are not 13/16" dia."

Maybe its just Dritz then, not Joannes, shrug.