Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   where to find bobbin winding tire for Singer 15-91 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/where-find-bobbin-winding-tire-singer-15-91-a-t177014.html)

DawnFurlong 01-26-2012 07:12 AM

where to find bobbin winding tire for Singer 15-91

I need to replace the bobbin winding tire on my Singer 15-91. I know I can find this part online. I had someone tell me that I can find this part easily at fabric stores such as Joann's. Can this part be found easily locally (in general - I know it depends on where someone lives, I am in the DFW metroplex)? Or have you found that these parts generally need to be ordered online?

Caroline S 01-26-2012 07:51 AM

Check with some local sewing machine repair shops in your area., they should have them. I purchase my spare parts online because I don't like to go running around and wasting gas.

Candace 01-26-2012 09:02 AM

Joannes carries them in the sewing machine area in my store. But, you have to buy the tire and belt as they don't sell them separately. You can buy them online at Sew Classic and other places.

DawnFurlong 01-26-2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4912786)
Joannes carries them in the sewing machine area in my store. But, you have to buy the tire and belt as they don't sell them separately. You can buy them online at Sew Classic and other places.

If the tire needs to be replaced, does the belt normally have to be replaced at the same time? Going to have to find the belt now (on the machine). Learning all kinds of things! Which is great - wonderful to be able to do the upkeep on my machine.

Candace 01-26-2012 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong (Post 4912793)
If the tire needs to be replaced, does the belt normally have to be replaced at the same time? Going to have to find the belt now (on the machine). Learning all kinds of things! Which is great - wonderful to be able to do the upkeep on my machine.

In my experience the bobbin tires need replacing more often than the belts. You should be able to tell if the belt needs replacing by just looking at it. Is it fraying, disintegrating, slipping or ??

DawnFurlong 01-26-2012 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4912805)
In my experience the bobbin tires need replacing more often than the belts. You should be able to tell if the belt needs replacing by just looking at it. Is it fraying, disintegrating, slipping or ??

I do not know - have not looked at it (actually - don't know where it is at). I know it will be in the general vicinity of the bobbin winding tire - but was only focused on that piece, so didn't notice the belt. Out comes the manual - will be looking for that when I go home for lunch!! But the bobbin tire - disintegrating.

Charlee 01-26-2012 09:40 AM

You're talking about for your 15-91 Dawn? There is no belt. :) As the others have said, you can get one from your local sewing machine place, or our own mizkaki (Cathy) will have one that she can get in the mail to you toot-sweet. :)

DawnFurlong 01-26-2012 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4912867)
You're talking about for your 15-91 Dawn? There is no belt. :) As the others have said, you can get one from your local sewing machine place, or our own mizkaki (Cathy) will have one that she can get in the mail to you toot-sweet. :)

See - lots to learn! Glad there is no belt. I actually decided that as opposed to calling Joann's to see if they have the part (or calling other places) - and then making the drive - I would just order online from Sew Classic. Ordered a foot as well. Since I am not in immediate need for the part (I can wind bobbins for this machine off of my other machine) - figured why do the calling/driving?! But - I will pay attention to what parts are available at Joann's the next time I am in.

Does Cathy keep extra parts around or work on these machines?