Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   White mystery solved (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/white-mystery-solved-t267466.html)

notsothoreau 07-11-2015 07:14 AM

White mystery solved

When I posted about this last, I had a rescued White treadle base and head. The tension piece on the front plate was badly rusted and I was given another head for parts. The problem was that they didn't interchange. It turned out that the original head was a Japanese White. I wound up with a third head, which looks nice in this base and sews!

Now onto an electric White that needs cabinet and electrical work. And I got a Singer 28, that will need a base. And then I will need more room for all these sewing machines :)

Rodney 07-11-2015 07:33 AM

The last sentence is the biggest problem of all for most of us here.
Rodney

Freaky_Quilts_Dragon 07-11-2015 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7253771)
Rodney

True that!

Carol34446 07-12-2015 09:01 AM

Roomn Si

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7253771)
Rodney

So true Rodney, I had to quit looking due to lack of room. If I outlive DH I will have more room,but he takes 3/4 of spare rooms for his stuff which he does little to nothing. But I would rather have him than the room. So can't win.

Gray fox 07-12-2015 09:28 AM

Yes, it's a problem when both people are collectors! Space which looked generous gets filled up quickly.

Dianne in Colorado

Sewnoma 07-13-2015 06:43 AM

Heheh, my DH has recently gotten into buying old radios and fixing them up and upgrading them with Bluetooth. He used to tease me about all of my machines, but in less than a month he's purchased more radios than I have accumulated sewing machines in the last 2 years!

So no more teasing from him, but now we're REALLY running out of space in this house!! Nice thing, though, is he's learning a lot about electricity and can hopefully start helping me with rewiring things soon. :thumbup:

Rodney 07-13-2015 12:20 PM

I love old radios but my electronics skills consist of some basic wiring. Certainly not good enough to repair them.
Rodney

Sewnoma 07-14-2015 06:58 AM

He's not even TRYING to fix tube radios, and his repairs so far have been pretty entry level - soldering loose wires based on photos online, cleaning dirty contacts, and the like. But he's learning all kinds of stuff and he has to do a lot of experimenting with each radio to figure out where to patch in the Bluetooth wires so that the music coming from that can still be controlled with the volume knob, etc. so he's constantly learning more.

It's interesting to see the guts of these things. It's funny to me to see how most knobs control things with basically strings wound around them. It all looks so fragile and delicate to me, after spending all this time with steel gears and such in my machines.