Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   White Rotary Series 77 Help W/Electrical. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/white-rotary-series-77-help-w-electrical-t283231.html)

tuckyquilter 10-23-2016 06:05 PM

White Rotary Series 77 Help W/Electrical.

3 Attachment(s)
This is a family machine from my grand daughters fathers side of the house. All the wiring is hooked inside the cabinet and I was wondering IF it could be wired to operate by foot pedal.

I have found one place that will at least give me an opinion on the cleaning and getting it running again.

The cabinet looks like it has every tool made for this machine in the drawers.
Suggestions anyone? Everyone?

Sorry, for some reason the photo's came out turned the wrong way. Not a clue as to why.

leonf 10-23-2016 06:21 PM

I take it this was designed for a knee control? Some knee controls were foot controllers with an arm attached. sometimes they slipped into a bracket. Could we see pics of that? I was going to check my White of similar vintage. Then I remembered it came without any controller. No help tonight.

bkay 10-26-2016 03:27 PM

How does it operate now? If it doesn't have a foot pedal, what makes it "go"? (I found the manual online, but it doesn't mention that part.)

Generally, the answer is yes, it can be made to work with a foot pedal. Usually there is a plug for the machine and two wires come out of it. One goes to the wall and one to the "go" mechanism. You can usually put another "go" mechanism in the place of the existing one.

Mickey2 10-26-2016 03:59 PM

Knee controllers are quite nice really, it doesn't take much to get used to them and like them. It can be converted to pedal too, but requires full rewiring and sometimes an additional plug and socket for the pedal part. Generally, parts like motor, light and speed controller are more often than not all fine, but needs to be checked and wires replaced.

tuckyquilter 11-01-2016 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 7685965)
How does it operate now? If it doesn't have a foot pedal, what makes it "go"? (I found the manual online, but it doesn't mention that part.)

Generally, the answer is yes, it can be made to work with a foot pedal. Usually there is a plug for the machine and two wires come out of it. One goes to the wall and one to the "go" mechanism. You can usually put another "go" mechanism in the place of the existing one.

Not sure as the wiring is way to damaged to trust to plug into electricity. The machine is heavy solid metal so it will last a couple of lifetimes. I so appreciate your help though. I'm not good at electricity!!! I haven't found a foot pedal and suspect it is knee operated. Need to get back to daughters and really look that cabinet etc over AND get all the electrical out.

Mickey2 11-02-2016 06:07 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by getting all the electricals out, but save the motor and knee controller (if you don't plan to get a pedal). The motor runs directly on the hand wheel and aren't as easily replaced as motors on a belt driven machine. The light is cleverly embeded in the body, so it's a big pluss to save all the original parts where it's possible and replace the wires. It looks much better and works well. You might have some in your household willing to take on the task, or you can look for a repair shop willing to do it. Any electrician are more than capable, and there are basic wiring schematics available.

JereB 04-21-2020 02:42 PM

Electrical Help White Family Series 77

I have a 1950s Family Rotary Series 77 in a cabinet with a knee pedal (which I love, having learned on this same model in 1959). The machine needs to be rewired due to cracked and dangerous wires wrapped and rewrapped with electrical tape. I got the new electrical plug that attached to the machine in a casing next to the foot pedal. There are rivets holding it shut, which i was told to drill out (in another forum that I cannot find). I did this, and the wires end in solders attached to metal clips, not the screws i was expecting due to the u-shapped wire ends on the new wire . Can these be soldered? Should i cut the ends off? These are different than the other machines I have rewired. Thanks in advance, I am a total novice, except where things are straight forward and does not include solder.
Jere