Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   White Rotary Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/white-rotary-sewing-machine-t200891.html)

w7sue 09-18-2012 09:01 PM

White Rotary Sewing Machine

3 Attachment(s)
Saw this at a yard sale today - had to leave my number with the lady - not sure of what to offer her for it, she wasn't sure what to ask for it ... I know it is a White Rotary, might be a Model 43, built between 1945-1949 (according to local sewing machine store with my description) - they said the machine might be worth about $6 (salvage) and the cabinet it was in might be worth between $50-$100 - hope to talk to the lady again tomorrow ...

blueheavenfla 09-18-2012 09:28 PM

Saw one listed on CL as a "decorative piece" and they mentioned door stop. I guess the question is if it sews nicely or not. It is unique.

J Miller 09-19-2012 03:58 AM

Offer the seller $50.00, take it home, clean it up and use it. Nothing at all wrong with that machine.
$6.00 for salvage is a joke ... a bad one.

Joe

quiltingweb 09-19-2012 06:11 AM

I have one like this. Mine was quite dirty and the cabinet is in really terrible shape...a Martha Washinton type...electric. It was given to me, but he didn't think of it as anything but junk he had to clear out of his mother's house. ( I now have 4 of her machines... :) Now, it's all cleaned up, a friend checked the wiring and found it to be sound, rewired the plug and it sews. I also have another White Rotary with the shiny finish. I'm very happy with it. If the cabinet is in good shape, it would be worth the $50, but it all depends how much you want to spend and what you'll do with it.

ArizonaKAT 09-19-2012 06:55 AM

I've come to the conclusion that you can't break a White. I have a treadle that was nasty when I got it. All I had to do was oil it and figure out how to thread it and she's still sewing away.

I also go a machine similiar to the one shown here. White made a series of totally cast iron (no paint) designs. My machine came in a Martha Washington cabinet (that was and still is in bad shape). I didn't realize that it was electric until I got it home. Must have been one of the first knee controls. I haven't gotten around to checking the wiring or fixing the cabinet. BUT, I did get her for $15.00.

J Miller 09-19-2012 10:08 AM

There is an attitude amongst some folks that; "if it ain't new, it's junk". This applies to sewing machines, cars, boats, houses, guns, and just about anything that lasts. These people wont lift a finger to fix something no matter how easy it is. They are to be pitied in my opinion.
New has it's place, but these old machines are well worth the money, time and effort to make them run and sew again.

Just ask my wife, she'll tell you. ....... I hope. :)

Seriously, that machine and cabinet is worth taking home. I have several White made machines and they are some of the best sewers I have. Not only that, they have character derived from the era they were designed and made in you just will not find in newer machines.

Joe

Wanabee Quiltin 09-19-2012 01:23 PM

I love White's, it is the machine I learned to sew on so many years ago. Mom had this old workhorse, I sure wish I had kept it when she passed. Have no idea where it went, my bad.....

Queen 09-19-2012 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a White Rotary I found on craigslist and paid $45.00 for it. I just love it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364107[/ATTACH]

Here is the cabinet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364108[/ATTACH]

I didn't realize that the New Home is sitting in the background.

Mary

w7sue 09-19-2012 07:23 PM

I bought it for $40!!!! I called the lady and she said she really wanted $50 for it, I had already offered her $20 so I asked if she would take $40 and she said yes. I am going to go pick it up next week (when I can sneak it into the house while my hubby is at work). Now, where to "hide" it. I have a Singer Treadle that I really would like to find a new home for so my goal is to rehome it so I have a place for the White. Space is at a premium in my house right now because my daughter moved back home while she is underemployed.

pinkCastleDH 09-20-2012 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Queen (Post 5526498)
Here is a White Rotary I found on craigslist and paid $45.00 for it. I just love it.
Mary

Mary,

Speaking of White Rotary treadles, one source that I read said that the direction on the handwheel is opposite on these from Singers - you push it away from you instead of pulling it toward you. I've got my eye on a very nice looking example but if that person was right I'll pass as I already have a push-to-go (Singer 9W) and I find it annoying. Was he correct?