Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Why Do I Keep Rescuing Machines I Don't Need (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/why-do-i-keep-rescuing-machines-i-dont-need-t265679.html)

Monroe 05-27-2015 05:29 AM

Why Do I Keep Rescuing Machines I Don't Need

I've been fairly good about not bringing home more machines since I'm out of room and need to downsize. But- I keep "rescuing" anyway! Past month has brought a green Morse dashboard machine that needs rewiring, a Wheeler Wilson 9 with a black painted cabinet, and a Willcox Gibbs. Each under $75, but I need to stop peeking at Craigslist. Managed to wean myself off EBay last year. I've kept them from being trashed or parted out, but now their current fate is to just sit in the guest room that no one can stay in. Wish we could have a big swap meet. Imagine the machines that would find good homes!

ManiacQuilter2 05-27-2015 05:35 AM

You are rescuing them from the dump. If you are ready to adopt some of them out to others, then start sending out messages thru LQS or guilds.

Sewnoma 05-27-2015 05:46 AM

I keep asking myself the same thing. And yet, when I see a steel machine for $14.99, who can say no to that? I try to leave but they keep whispering to me. Sort of like on cartoons when the fragrance from a pie turns into fingers that hook into the nose and carry the character, floating, along. That happens to me in thrift stores with sewing machines!!

bearisgray 05-27-2015 05:59 AM

If you all REALLY don't want any more machines - then stay away from places where they can frequently be found!

(Sort of like - if one is an alcoholic - maybe stopping at a bar for happy hour on the way home from work may not be the best idea in the world.)

However, you all may just be wanting affirmation that acquiring these machines is a good thing.

No judgment call from me - I'm just repeating what I've read in some of my decluttering books.

KalamaQuilts 05-27-2015 06:03 AM

You aren't necessarily rescuing them from the dump at all. Your unnecessary purchases my be keeping them from genuine buyers who would care for and use them. A sewing machine crypt in your home isn't much better than the dump in my opinion.

elnan 05-27-2015 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7208202)
I keep asking myself the same thing. And yet, when I see a steel machine for $14.99, who can say no to that? I try to leave but they keep whispering to me. Sort of like on cartoons when the fragrance from a pie turns into fingers that hook into the nose and carry the character, floating, along. That happens to me in thrift stores with sewing machines!!

Me too, you've captured the feeling so well! The latest was a pink and purple Brother Tingler 031 made in Korea, I'm thinking class 15 clone straight stitch with feed dog drop, and a cracked carry-case. I tried to resist and left it there, then drove over 50 miles back the next day to bring it home. $50 was more than I would usually pay, but... that's the same place a Singer slant 503A in a cabinet reached out and tripped me when I tried to leave the store. I even strong-armed my husband for his mad money because this store won't accept a check over $50. I once told someone that I felt like I was rescuing them, and a week later came home to find a nice red-eye treadle and a portable White from maybe the 80s in a cardboard box, all sitting on my entryway stoop. I am surrounded by enablers, and if that isn't enough, I come to this forum for excitement. The 4-H helpers have re-homed several for me, but they are coming in faster than going out.

Monroe, I try, have even taken the "pledge", but make excuses for each and every sewing machine purchase I've made.

J Miller 05-27-2015 06:35 AM

We're packing to move, my back and knees are screaming due to moving dozens of cast iron machines. My wife is out of town looking for a place for us to move to ..... and ..... she emails me that she picked up a White sewing machine at a yard sale ... For cheap ... It has all it's accessories, even the screw drivers. Arrrgghhhhh!

As if I needed another one. It's an addiction I think. We were gonna just leave some behind if we couldn't rehome them. Kinda looks like we're gonna rent a bigger truk and take them with us. Sighhhhhhh .....

Joe

Mrs. SewNSew 05-27-2015 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 7208181)
I've been fairly good about not bringing home more machines since I'm out of room and need to downsize. But- I keep "rescuing" anyway! Past month has brought a green Morse dashboard machine that needs rewiring, a Wheeler Wilson 9 with a black painted cabinet, and a Willcox Gibbs. Each under $75, but I need to stop peeking at Craigslist. Managed to wean myself off EBay last year. I've kept them from being trashed or parted out, but now their current fate is to just sit in the guest room that no one can stay in. Wish we could have a big swap meet. Imagine the machines that would find good homes!

I commiserate with you! Every time I make firm rules about what I will bring home or not, another one slips by the rules! The reason to keep "looking" is that there are still machines I would happily buy for my own collection, but I will see others that beg to come home and be repaired while out looking. If it's not something I am out to find for my own collection I am committed to keeping the $$ down. 75.00 would be far too much to spend for those. :rolleyes:

elnan 05-27-2015 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 7208214)
You aren't necessarily rescuing them from the dump at all. Your unnecessary purchases my be keeping them from genuine buyers who would care for and use them. A sewing machine crypt in your home isn't much better than the dump in my opinion.

OUCH, that smarts!

SteveH 05-27-2015 06:52 AM

I feel that you (we) buy them because we love them and respect them so much we can't stand to see them abused.

I disagree 100% with the notion that stored in a loving home is no better than a dump. That to me sounds ridiculous.

for me the secret has been to put as much effort into rehoming as I do into searching for new ones to be rescued.

I would think that the key is to make sure that the machines being rescued is still causing you joy rather than anxiety