Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Why do people say not to lube FW motors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/why-do-people-say-not-lube-fw-motors-t175081.html)

janeite 01-09-2012 09:26 PM

Why do people say not to lube FW motors?

Hello everyone!

This is my first post. I have been reading the Vintage Sewing Machine thread in this forum, I only have about 1200 pages left. Ha.

My mother gave me a black FW and a 301 recently. I have fallen in love with my vintage machines, and I can't wait to get more.

My FW manual says to lube the motor. My mom bought the machine from a Singer repairman. He works on all her machines and apparently does a good job. She asked him about the grease and he told her that the motor did not need it. I did a search on this and see this subject has come up before. It seems people here support lubing the motor, which is what I am thinking should be correct, if that is how it was originally designed.

I don't understand why he and others suggest the motors don't need the lube. Does anyone know if it can harm the motor? Why do he and some other repairmen say not to do it?

donnai 01-09-2012 09:43 PM

lube for a featherweight`

when I bought my featherweight. I took it to my singer repair shop for a tune up. I asked about lube when I went to pay. she told me not to use it as it gets gummed up; but I hear from this forum to use it. I too want to know what is the right way.

VickyS 01-09-2012 10:59 PM

My original Featherweight sewing machine manual says to lube the motor so I do. It has held up well through 3 owners who have been avid sewers without needing to replace the motor.

So, I'd say to lube it if it is an original motor. If the motor has been replaced at some point, the newer motor may have the self-lubing gears that do not have a lube point. Take a look at your machine and look for the lube points as shown in the manual available online at the Singer website. If you have lube holes, you may want to consider doing an OCCASIONAL lubrication.

Also note: LostN51 - Billy can answer PM's. He is the resident mechanic that restores older vintage machines. I would trust anything he says.

janiesews 01-10-2012 04:39 AM

Lucky you! Your Mother gave you 2 very nice machines and you will love them. I would suggest you check out Dave McCollam's DVD for care and feeding of your machines. Lots of good information and he shows you how to lube and what to use. Enjoy your machines. ps I ordered new felt drip pads this year for Christmas presents for my sister and friends-they were surprised and thrilled (I think).

janeite 01-10-2012 04:58 AM

I just found out that my grandmother used a slant needle machine, and it's still in the family and headed my way. I am so excited about this, not sure what model it is yet, I know it does a zig zag, so maybe one of the 400's or maybe a 500!

I want to learn how to care for my machines to keep them in top shape. I will check out Dave McCollams DVD.

I need to look at my FW again and see if the motor has been replaced. When I read the manual I didn't think to check that.

Charlee 01-10-2012 06:19 AM

The motors on FWs need lube, but not much! Follow the recommendations in the manual, but don't over do it. Unless you're using that motor everyday, 8 hours a day, it shouldn't need lubed more than once a year or so. More than one motor has bitten the dust because of over enthusiastic lubrication. :)

Caroline S 01-10-2012 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4860700)
The motors on FWs need lube, but not much! Follow the recommendations in the manual, but don't over do it. Unless you're using that motor everyday, 8 hours a day, it shouldn't need lubed more than once a year or so. More than one motor has bitten the dust because of over enthusiastic lubrication. :)

Thanks Charlee. You always have the best info. My FW is sitting in the closet due to lack of sewing space. My DD will be soon getting her own place and the FW can come out of the closet. Can you imagine TWO quilters doing their thing in a 12 x 12 foot space? Well, it can be done, is done. Good thing we are such good buddies!

jljack 01-10-2012 10:50 AM

When I first got my 301 and my FW, I lubed the motors because the instructions said to do so, and I had no idea how long it had been since there were lubed. They are both performing perfectly. I won't lube again until probably next year, because I don't sew on them every day.

The key is to use the right product to lube with. The Singer lube, or the TriFlo lube.

VickyS 01-10-2012 04:19 PM

Thanks for the info, Charlee!

Olivia's Grammy 01-11-2012 10:42 AM

I have a FW and the manuel says and shows where to lube the machine. I lube my FW with Singer Lube that I bought from the FW site. I've never had any trouble with it and will continue to lube it yearly.