Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Why two threaded spool pin holes on a 201? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/why-two-threaded-spool-pin-holes-201-a-t185851.html)

J Miller 04-12-2012 05:28 PM

Why two threaded spool pin holes on a 201?

On my Singer 201-2 there are two round flat areas on the top of the hump of the machine. Both are threaded. The spool pin is in the rear most hole.
Why two threaded holes?

Just curious cos I noticed the same thing in the pics LauraRG posted in the thread about her newly acquired 201-2.

Joe

greywuuf 04-12-2012 10:05 PM

it is only a guess, but my 306w also has a dual disk tension assy. on it and there is a section in the manual detailing its use as a twin needle machine. in my case its pretty much moot as I don't think anyone makes a *306* needle but for the "standard" machines I don't see it as a problem. I had never heard of dual needle before so forgive me if this is obvious, but twin needle is popular in leather goods, handbags and cowboy boots for example, two rows of sometimes accenting or contrasting stitching.

J Miller 04-13-2012 05:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
greywuuf,

That could be, or it could be for a second pin to fill bobbins off of or just there for dummies to ask questions about. Beats me.
I have a reprint manual for the 201 and I don't remember anything in it about dual needles. The 201 being a straight stitch only has the one tiny needle hole so it wouldn't work with dual needles anyway.

I have a number of machines that will work with dual needles though and they are really fun to play with. Especially those that will allow zig-zagging and decorative stitching with the dual needles.

Now here's a trick that makes a really attractive stitch; get two of the big serger thread stands with the tall hook on them and build you a thread widget. I swear I have a thread here about what I did, but I can't find it. So what I did was take a length of 3/8" dowel rod, drill a hole through the middle so it will sit on the spool pin and then drill two smaller holes crosswise at the end. I took the spring out of a clothes pin and put it in the holes at the end of the dowel rod, then put the two threads through it. From there I threaded my #2 66 treadle as if I were using one thread. As the two threads passed through the spring it twists them. When this gets sewed into a material it really looks neat.
Serger thread is thinner than normal thread but strong and flexible. I've yet to break it even once.
Here's a couple pics to ponder on:

J Miller 04-13-2012 05:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a close up showing two threads going in and one twisted thread coming out of the widget.

The bigger pics show details much better, but this set up sews really good through all the machines I've tried it on and makes a really nice stitch.

Joe

quilter68 04-13-2012 05:44 AM

WOW! Neat idea. Thanks!

jljack 04-13-2012 12:39 PM

Very clever!! I think I do remember you having posted this previously....probably at least 2-3 months ago? But, yeah, it's here somewhere!! LOL

J Miller 04-13-2012 02:02 PM

Yes I did post it, and it was right after I joined the forum. I really should search back, find the thread and bookmark it for reference.
Joe

w1613s 04-14-2012 06:02 AM

Ummm, with regard to your nifty twisted thread application: what size needle did you have the most luck with? Also, was it a specialty type of needle? Embroidery, etc?

Thanks for holding my hand.

Pat

valleyquiltermo 04-14-2012 06:07 AM

Oh I lovethis ideal, so useful. Thanks bunches.

J Miller 04-14-2012 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by w1613s (Post 5139944)
Ummm, with regard to your nifty twisted thread application: what size needle did you have the most luck with? Also, was it a specialty type of needle? Embroidery, etc?

Thanks for holding my hand.

Pat

Pat,
I used a regular Schmetz Universal #16 needle. I had a bit of trouble getting both threads through a #14 so I upped it one size. Worked just fine.

Joe