Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   wiring question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/wiring-question-t256829.html)

Mrs. SewNSew 11-15-2014 09:49 AM

wiring question

As I'm looking through the hoard at what I want to take on next I see a MW's machine with chicago plugs that needs re-wiring. It has no lamp so I only need to re-wire the motor and get it going through a foot controller into the wall.

I'm stumped trying to think up the best way to do this. A terminal would be nice, or I could use a dual socket but technically I don't really need the DUAL socket since I won't be plugging in a lamp.

Any ideas?

Rodney 11-15-2014 11:54 AM

Is it in a case or cabinet? The good thing about the dual sockets is it's easy to add light later or you have a convenient outlet next to the machine for other devices like an iron.
You could just hardwire the connections either in the bottom of the case or out of the way under the cabinet too.
Rodney

Mrs. SewNSew 11-15-2014 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6969819)
Is it in a case or cabinet? The good thing about the dual sockets is it's easy to add light later or you have a convenient outlet next to the machine for other devices like an iron.
You could just hardwire the connections either in the bottom of the case or out of the way under the cabinet too.
Rodney

It's in a cabinet so I guess I could hardwire it. I haven't done it this way before so does one side from the plug wire go through the controller?

J Miller 11-15-2014 04:34 PM

Christy,

If you are not using a light then the power goes through the controller making the controller the variable on / of switch.

I have one machine that used a hard wired set of Chicago plugs for the light and motor. The plugs were toast so I converted it to use the double outlet cord block set like the Japanese machines use(d). I kept the ancient wiring so that if I ever find a good set of Chicago plugs I can put it back to original.

Joe

Blackberry 11-16-2014 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 6969819)
Rodney

Rodney, are you saying that you can plug other electrical devices into the light socket in the dual switches? I didn't know that. I just figured that if you have no light you just couldn't use the light socket. Good Information. Thanks.

Mrs. SewNSew 11-16-2014 07:45 AM

I think the dual socket makes the best sense. Even though the machine doesn't have a lamp on it, they have many types of lamps available so having a nearby socket would be handy.