Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Worth Fixing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/worth-fixing-t58707.html)

CarrieAnne 08-10-2010 07:23 AM

I would fix itup too! Just think of using an heirloom like that!

craftybear 08-10-2010 08:58 AM

Yes, please fix it up! Billy is great in good ideas on how to clean them, paint them, send him a private message

lostn51 is his member user name

seabolt22 08-10-2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by moonrise
I inherited an older Singer machine from my great-grandmother. It was handed down to my grandmother, and then to me when my grandmother passed away a few months ago. My mom doesn't sew a lick, so she wasn't interested in it.

According to the serial number (AH783721), it was made in September 1948, and is a model/class number 15. Looks like it was made in New Jersey, and that there were 35,000 made. :)

Offhand, I know for sure that it needs a power cord and a throat plate. Looks like it needs a bobbin case too. It's in a cabinet, which is in very good structural condition, but has lots of cosmetic scratches (should be easy to refinish). The machine and cabinet were stored in my Granny's basement for years. My great-grandmother passed away in the late 70's, and I bet this machine hasn't been used at all since she was still able to sew. It's dusty and dirty, and likely has been exposed to mice, spiders, and other basement critters. >>shudder<<

Here are a few photos. Sorry they're grainy; I snapped them with my cell phone, but can get better ones if needed. :)

Oh, and my DH is very mechanically-inclined and can fix just about anything, and he's also an industrial painter, so if (BIG IF) I decide I want the machine repainted, he can do that as well.

So ... do you think it's worth fixing? It would be awesome to do it for the sentimental value (I remember sewing on it as a young child), but realistically, I wouldn't want to throw good money after bad, if it's not really worth it, if that makes sense. :)

I have one just like it. It sews well. I had to clean it up and rewire it. Fix it up and use it.

LeeAnn 08-10-2010 02:03 PM

Definitely fix it. You will be so glad you did.

quilt addict 08-10-2010 03:08 PM

Have DH look at Billy's tutuorials and it will clean right up. I would keep it and hopefully sew on it after it is clean. You may fall in love with it.

moonrise 08-10-2010 03:29 PM

Wow, thanks everyone! Looks like the vote is unanimous! :mrgreen:

DH is supposed to have a few days off around Labor Day. Maybe we can dig into it then, and that'll give me time to order the parts I already know it needs. :thumbup:

quiltinghere 08-10-2010 04:20 PM

I'd say CLEAN IT UP - just because it's a little old looking doesn't make it less valuable.
Remembering you sewed on it when you were younger - makes it more valuable.

Clean 'er up!

wvdek 08-10-2010 04:59 PM

Clean it up and use it. Parts are available. Go to the Vintage Machine section here and you will have hours of reading on these oldies but goodies. If you don't want it, send it to me. Yes, worth saving. :)

Stitchnripper 08-10-2010 05:41 PM

Having just gotten a treadle and an electric similar to yours, I say clean it up and use it. They are a pleasure to use and there is a lot of room in the throat, harp, I'm not sure the exact word so you can maneuver a pretty big quilt around.

KellyPA 08-10-2010 05:43 PM

Absolutely!