Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   You have created a monster... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/you-have-created-monster-t200732.html)

CanadianGirl 09-17-2012 07:12 AM

You have created a monster...

2 Attachment(s)
Last night I took a machine count...10 machines...only 3 of which I actually sew on!
Eventually I will post pictures of my little collection....and yes, I'm naming them....
I am looking at two that are posted on my local internet classifieds. I wanted an opinion of what to offer...
1. Singer model 99. Asking $100. Nice bent wood case. No indication of whether it's working. I haven't asked. Has been on there since August
2. New Model. Asking $100 (were asking $150 last week) Pretty blue colour ...lol...the important stuff. Japanese made, 1957. Working. Cabinet is in very good condition.
Thoughts? Anyone?

Caroline S 09-17-2012 07:48 AM

I think that the prices are still a bit high. I would be willing to pay $75 for the 99 if I really, really wanted one. And perhaps even the same price for the Japanese machine. Again if I really, really wanted it. You can always send the seller and offe of what you would be willing to pay. Won't hurt to try.

kitsykeel 09-17-2012 10:06 AM

The blue one looks like my blue Japanese clone. Mine is badged Universal. I paid $15.00 at a church sale and it is in a cabinet. You may find one cheaper, it depends on how long you want to wait, but they are out there. Caroline's idea to make an offer can't hurt. Good luck.

Candace 09-17-2012 10:13 AM

I wouldn't pay more than $20 or $30 because I can always get machines in that range.

mo-rie 09-17-2012 03:58 PM

The black Singer isn't a 99. It is a 128 with a vibrating shuttle/long bobbin. Be sure it has the knee bar!

miriam 09-18-2012 03:11 AM

Prices can depend on where you live & condition of the machine...

Jingle 09-18-2012 11:22 AM

Very pretty, I would have to judge for myself and if in great shape I woud probably pay what they want. Everyone wants and needs to make money. If they hold off and advertise more they will get their asking price.

Annaquilts 09-18-2012 11:25 AM

They both are nice machines. Is the blue one in cabinet? I think the prices are definitely high especially for the blue one but I do not know how much machines are in your area. I really like the 99 but it has no reverse so I would wait it out for a 99 that does have a reverse.

pinkCastleDH 09-18-2012 12:30 PM

The 128 (as someone else pointed out) looks to be in nice shape but if you want to sew on it you can probably find a nice 99/99k with reverse and the more common round bobbins for less $ and if you don't want to sew on it wouldn't you rather have a fancier decal set (though I do like the celtic knot S logo!)

blueheavenfla 09-18-2012 09:14 PM

I would be more concerned that it has the shuttle...can't sew without it but can use a foot pedal if there is no knee bar. Mine has no knee bar but a foot pedal.

Originally Posted by mo-rie (Post 5522085)
The black Singer isn't a 99. It is a 128 with a vibrating shuttle/long bobbin. Be sure it has the knee bar!