Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Zigzag attachment for Singer.. Is there a difference (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/zigzag-attachment-singer-there-difference-t264505.html)

Macybaby 04-27-2015 09:39 AM

It's funny as I so wanted to respond about all the different zigzag attachments out there. I even have two versions of the very early sideways mount unit. But I have not tested them to see how great they work, and would also say they are OK for playing with, but if you really need a zigzag machine - get one.

Rodney 04-27-2015 10:40 AM

Thanks Kathy. It's good to be back. I have fun with the attachments on my machines. Buttonholers are especially fun to watch though I have yet to use one to actually make a real button hole. :)
Macybaby can tell you just how much fun and addictive old attachments can be. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a zigzag attachment, it's just that a machine built to do zigzag sewing will produce better results more easily.

Markets vary on old machines. Where I am thrift stores have lower prices in general than most Craig's List ads. I get my $10 machines from the thrifts. I have a couple favorite stops in town that have produced many of my machines and attachments. They usually need a good cleaning and some minor work to run well again but then many Craig's List machines are the same.
Rodney

manicmike 04-27-2015 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7178708)
I have fun with the attachments on my machines. Buttonholers are especially fun to watch though I have yet to use one to actually make a real button hole. :)

I didn't notice you weren't back Mr lightning recovery :p

You haven't made a real buttonhole with one yet? I must assume you haven't needed one then. The buttonholer was one of those gadgets that had me staring and playing with it for hours like a little kid. The click-clack noise as it swings the fabric side to side is just hypnotic, particularly to gadget obsessed types.

If I increase the bobbin tension I found that the buttonholes are a bit neater. It's a bit of a pain (I have to remember to change it back again) but if I'm doing, say, 20 buttonholes it's well worth it.

ArchaicArcane 04-27-2015 07:15 PM

I prefer the buttonhole attachment to the built in buttonholes for most machines. I think they make a nicer buttonhole. I used my 503 and a buttonholer and did more than 100 buttonholes and buttons on that machine for curtains for our gazebo. It's possible I didn't know they were supposed to be challenging so I didn't have any trouble with mine. ;)

Now that said, I find the zig zagger is a different beast altogether. The zig zagger leaves a messy backside. It's not a true zig zag so the stitch on the back doesn't look like a zig zag. I would use a zig zag built machine before an attachment but a buttonholer attachment any day.

miriam 04-28-2015 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7179218)

Now that said, I find the zig zagger is a different beast altogether. The zig zagger leaves a messy backside. It's not a true zig zag so the stitch on the back doesn't look like a zig zag. I would use a zig zag built machine before an attachment but a buttonholer attachment any day.

Did you cover the feed dogs when you used the zzer?

ArchaicArcane 04-28-2015 08:02 AM

I don't recall off the top of my head. Probably. It's back when I read the directions instead of thinking "I'm a certified tech, I can figure this out" - then spending a few hours fighting only to read the manual later. ;)

There was a feed dog cover in the box, so I would have used it. Weirdest thing to see a 27 ZZ. :)

Rodney 04-28-2015 09:22 AM

Mike: I'm back. I feel good. Lightning recovery? I don't think so. I just have really good doctors. I had a really good surgeon and they did a great job on making sure my pain was under control. There's also a big difference between going in as a planned thing and going into the hospital on an emergency basis. I did get out a day or two earlier than I expected. How long is it supposed to take to grow a new leg anyway? ;)
Seriously though, it's going to take about 8 weeks before I'm fitted with an artificial leg. It takes that long for healing and for the swelling to go down. Also, thanks for the quilt block. :)

I've watch the buttonholer make the button holes but I haven't needed a real button hole yet so I haven't actually tried to sew one where it's supposed to go. 2 times around makes a nice neat buttonhole with full stitches.
Rodney

miriam 04-28-2015 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7179707)
There was a feed dog cover in the box, so I would have used it. Weirdest thing to see a 27 ZZ. :)

hhmmmm I haven't done anything weird in a while so I should try it - maybe buttonholes on a 27 would be weird, too.

Jeanette Frantz 04-28-2015 03:51 PM

I tried many buttonholes on my 328 using the zig zag flat cam. I can tell you for sure, like Tammi, I prefer the buttonholer attachment than trying to make one just using the cam! I love my 328, but I used to make a lot of buttonholes on clothing, and I'll take the attachment any day! I even have a couple of slant-needle buttonholers my son collected quite a few years ago that I've used on the 750 T & S machines, which will also fit my 403. So, before I'd try a zig-zag attachment, I'd get a machine that does zig zag, makes other pretty stitches, and put a buttonholer on to make buttonholes! JMHO! Rodney, sure is good to have you back active on the board!

Jeanette

miriam 04-28-2015 04:12 PM

I sat in Florida on vacation and made button holes on a Singer 15 HC with the green box button hole attachment. I love it. I haven't seen any machine that makes a button hole as nice as the old attachment. I agree with Jeanette - get a good zz machine and the button hole maker.