Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quest for 221 Featherweight ended with a ?

Blog Entries

Quest for 221 Featherweight ended with a ?

A beautiful 221-1 featherweight just became mine after a twenty-year search. Thrilled does not describe my joy. It has several attachments including a hemmer, ruffler, adjustable hemmer, multi-slotted binder and edge stitcher. It doesn't look like it was ever used. She was born January 29, 1951 and carries a centennial badge.

My few issues are the age of the electrical cord. Is it replaceable and where can I get one if it is? There are a few nicks in the rubber cording.

The other is where to get a replacement light bulb?

I have good oil for those spots that need oil and I need lubricant for the gears. Is Singer Motor Lubricant easily available?

Name:  DSC08900.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  101.3 KB

TIA for any info and help.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Power Poster
    ​This is a good resource http://singer-featherweight.com

Congratulations on your new machine. They are wonderful. I have replaced the foot pedal - I ordered it thru "The Singer Featherweight Shop". They have tutorials on how to take care of it. They have genuine featherweight parts. But there are a couple other sites I have used "Singer Featherweight Supply". I can't seem to find the other one that I have used. I hope someone will post it because it has some better prices.

Congrats! I also have a Centennial FW. The cord on mine was bad and I had a local OSMG(al) replace it for me. She said they were readily available. The source Tartan lists or Sew-Classic should be able to help you.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Congratulations on your new baby. I second the Featherweight Shop, they have great tutorials and good customer service.

Blog Entries
    congrats! the machine and box look pristine
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Congratulations, Ube. She is beautiful!

Try the Featherweight Shop.com they sell parts, oil, grease, etc.

One more good source for lights, bobbins, belts, cords and all things featherweight:
    https://www.novamontgomery.com/index.htm
    and I also like sew classic... mentioned above:
    https://shop.sew-classic.com/main.sc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    This is a good resource http://singer-featherweight.com

Thanks, Tartan. This site has everything I need and more. what a wealth of information. The power cord will be sent off to them for rewiring and they had a lightbulb and grease. I am very pleased.

Beautiful machine. Be sure to buy an LED bulb instead of the old incandescent. It's much brighter and puts off no heat.

When you order your LED bulb, get the 'bright white' one. It's the best. And, yes, I order from the featherweight shop. Make sure to learn how to lube the motor. Never put oil in the motor ports.

Do enjoy your beauty.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-06-2019 at 12:49 AM. Reason: self promotion
    --- Jean

jdquilts123.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I love the Singer-Featherweight Shop, LLC in Kooskia, Idaho. Www.singer-Featherweight.com. They have an online shop and they are really helpful. I got a “Complete Maintenance Book” because I am not st all mechanical and it has been worth its weight in gold for me. They have all sorts of parts and everything I have needed.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    As "mindless" said, try Nova Montgomery. She has a Tip of the Month and is not a newcomer to the FW. Hubs and I took a class from her to learn how to service the machines. (I have two.) She spent time (3 years)and money to have the motor lubricant formulated to be the exact correct thing to use on your FW. If she has a class in your area, I would highly recommend it. I even found out what makes the FW cases stink! It was worth every penny and she does not do a hard sell on her products. Plus now I can do my own service and that will more than pay for the class!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Lovely machine! Mine is also a Centennial but has a decorative face-plate.
    My light bulb would get very hot, but when it burned out and I got another which does not get so hot. I love that machine. It's my go-to machine unless I want to do decorative stitches and such.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much, everyone. I have been going back and forth through all the videos from the resources you all mentioned. The first thing I looked at after watching Nova about the bobbin case being in the right position to pick up the thread and sure enough the "finger" was not in the little slot area where it should sit. So that is corrected now.

My next job is oiling it and then wait to receive the lube, LED light and rewired cord. Waiting is the hardest part.

Thanks again for all your help.

If you have a 301, the cord from that will work on the FW. My husband bought mine for me and when I got it the cord was really bad. I wanted to try it out and discovered that the power cord was the same as the 301.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    That's good to know, cashs_mom. I don't have a 301 and after finding my 221, I think I am as happy as I could ever be and will never need or want another machine, haha.

Careful. Machine collecting can sneak up on you.
    Vic Tori Ann Work Shop

Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    If you have a 301, the cord from that will work on the FW. My husband bought mine for me and when I got it the cord was really bad. I wanted to try it out and discovered that the power cord was the same as the 301.
    I have a 301, but never realized that the cords were the same. I had the Featherweight for years before I found out that the bobbins are the same, too.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher