Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt binding width questions

Quilt binding width questions

Elaine asked me a question that I have no idea about.
    I've looked at several threads and a few videos on how to apply the binding, but none covered this question.

Question: What is the "normal" or "average" width of the folded binding used on quilts?

Elaine and Joe

Blog Entries
    If I want a fuller binding, I cut 2 1/2. However, I usually cut it 2 1/4 as I like less binding.

HTH

I normally cut my binding strips 2.5" wide. Last month I purchased the Martelli Zip Bind System and Stitch in the Ditch binding foot. Per the instructions I am using strips cut 3" wide. But it depends on the thickness of the sandwiched quilt top. I am now only doing machine sewn quilt binding.
    Sweet Caroline

You will get many answers and the correct one is whichever one works for you. I apply my binding by hand to the back and use 2". There are some people who use 1-3/4" and a lot (especially if applying both sides by machine) that use 2-1/4" to 2-1/2".

Blog Entries
    i think the (average) is either 2 1/4" or 2 1/2"...that seems to be the Preferance. I personally on most quilts prefer a narrower binding but if i'm binding one that is quite heavy/thick/lofty---like flannel or wool quilts---i do use a 2 1/2"..it is a personal choice- as long as you can A) fold it in half; B) stitch it to one side; C) fold it over & stitch it to the other side- covering the stitching from the first side--- it is an ok width---some people even like them much wider- so they are almost like an extra border/design element- use what you like & works for you---your binding should be *Full* though---meaning the batting & fabric inside the fold should fill the space.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I always use 2 1/2", but lots of people use 2 1/4". Watch Sharon Schambers' video on Youtube, called "Binding the Angel." She gives a great lesson on how to bind from start to finish, using Elmer's school glue. I've tried it this way and it is wonderful. No pins or clips and your binding finishes perfectly every time.

Hi: I cut strips 4inches wide, then fold them in half using the iron, machine stitch them to and hem them on the back side.
    Tomodachi

If you haven't bound a quilt before, I suggest no less than 2.5". That gives you room to work. You can graduate to smaller width binding as you gain experience.

I tried Elmers glue for a binding and didn't care for the results. Have used it for piecing and basting with success, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    I normally cut my binding strips 2.5" wide. Last month I purchased the Martelli Zip Bind System and Stitch in the Ditch binding foot. Per the instructions I am using strips cut 3" wide. But it depends on the thickness of the sandwiched quilt top. I am now only doing machine sewn quilt binding.
    Caroline,

Can you elaborate on the "machine sewn quilt binding" procedure you use?

Joe

Blog Entries
    I also machine bind mine...I use 2 1/2 in strips and fold it in half. sew to the back side...then fold over to the front and machine stitch using a decorative stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I also machine bind mine...I use 2 1/2 in strips and fold it in half. sew to the back side...then fold over to the front and machine stitch using a decorative stitch.
    If I am understanding correctly, once the strip you cut is folded in half, basically you have a strip about 1 1/4" wide that is sewn on and them folded over the edge of the quilt?

Elaine

Blog Entries
    yup, it makes the perfect size.
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    If I am understanding correctly, once the strip you cut is folded in half, basically you have a strip about 1 1/4" wide that is sewn on and them folded over the edge of the quilt?

Elaine

Blog Entries
    I like 2 1/2 in wide binding. But, I have used 2 inch binding on occasion. I usually sew on by machine and hand stitch down on the back of the quilt.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

I use 2.75" and find that works best for me. I alter that depending on the design situation and the thickness of the quilt. I think that if you are binding a scalloped border, a narrower binding will be easier to apply. It is all a matter of personal preference.

Here's a link to a tutorial for binding. I think it's what you're looking for.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...cs-t63254.html

I usually cut my binding at 2 1/4". I do NOT cut the batting and backing until the binding is sewn onto the quilt front. I line up the raw edges of the binding with the edge of the quilt top and sew 1/4" seam. Then, I trim the batting/backing to about 3/8" from the sewn line. This ensures a nice, full binding.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Blog Entries
    My binding width depends on the quilt design. Some of my quilts feel more balanced with a wider binding and some I prefer a skinnie binding. I machine sew my bindings to the front and hand stitch to the back. In the last year I have switched to using only bias cut binding solely. I just prefer the way it hugs the quilt edge over straight of grain cut binding. Just my personal preference as there is no reason to use bias binding on any quilt other than one with curves
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I don't consistently use any specific width. I look at the project and decide what I think would look best and that's the width I make for that quilt. Sorry, not much help here!

Vat
    I love narrow bindings. I like a finished 1/4 inch binding. Therefore , I cut my fabric 1 7/8 inches. Fold it in half and sew it onto the front with a scant 1/4 inch seam. I don't understand where all you ladies put all that fabric. Or why you waste so much fabric. Whatever works for you.

Blog Entries
    Joe, everyone has their preference, but average binding is cut 2.5"s - folded in half and pressed flat, then sewn on one side of your quilt . . . . I square my quilt up before putting on the binding. Once sewn down on one side, fold the binding over and either hand sew or use a decorative stitch to finish the binding. A nice folded binding is thicker so you don't end up with the binding falling apart from handling the quilt, but you end up sewing through 5 layers. You have the top, batting, back, and the folded in half binding. When you finish sewing the binding on the second side of your quilt - your binding should be 'full' of quilt edge!

Nancy