Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quilts made using vintage machines! >

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Muv

Nancy - Fab quilt -it's massive! But I'll make sure I steer clear of Stonehenge fabrics. I can't bear fraying. Well done for finishing.

Monica, How do you manage to get so many quilts done? I love the way you photograph them over the hammock, and no, I'm not jealous of you sunshine.

Here's a doll quilt I did for the November swap, pieced on my 1897 28K and quilted and bound on my 1927 99K - both hand machines. A little friend called Lily, who is 9, picked out the colours for the chequerboard for me. I gave her a pile of twelve dark and twelve light fat quarters and asked her to choose five of each. Then I asked her to decide which order to put the strips in. She loved seeing how to turn the strips into squares.
Attached Thumbnails rustybobbin-037.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM

Muv, That's a very pretty mini quilt! Please tell Lily that she did an excellent job selecting fabrics. I like that your lights (whites) have a motif.

As to getting lots accomplished, it helps to stay away from a computer. That's my secret!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 AM

Ok, Here is my latest. My October quilt project that I just got finished this week. See Muv some of my projects take me months to make. The skeleton came from an apron fabric material. Binding was made from the leftovers of that fabric, the instructions. Piecing done on Two Spools, straight stitch quilting on Davis NVF, and decorative stitching on Singer 224. All machines in treadles. Also, not all of my points are perfect. I like to hide those imperfections with a decorative stitch that is used as part of the quilting. Life isn't perfect and neither am I. Thank God!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]381602[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]381603[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4563.jpg   img_4561.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Nancy - Fab quilt -it's massive! But I'll make sure I steer clear of Stonehenge fabrics. I can't bear fraying. Well done for finishing.

Monica, How do you manage to get so many quilts done? I love the way you photograph them over the hammock, and no, I'm not jealous of you sunshine.

Here's a doll quilt I did for the November swap, pieced on my 1897 28K and quilted and bound on my 1927 99K - both hand machines. A little friend called Lily, who is 9, picked out the colours for the chequerboard for me. I gave her a pile of twelve dark and twelve light fat quarters and asked her to choose five of each. Then I asked her to decide which order to put the strips in. She loved seeing how to turn the strips into squares.
Muv, I love the little quilt! Lily did a great job picking the colors! It is fun when we get little ones involved with the process of making a quilt! Hopefully, Lily will become a quilter too!

I wouldn't worry too much about Stonehenge as long as you are aware it is stretchy and it frays really bad. Stonehenge has some fantastic colors! Our instructor wouldn't even show her quilt once it was quilted because it was so wonky due to the stretchy fabric. Also, some of her seams had frayed all the way to the seam line from handling the quilt so much while demonstrating with it - before she quilted it. I wouldn't be afraid of using it again - it is a beautiful fabric! You guys will know what to expect so you will be able to fix the problems as you go - lots of Fray Check - and stay stitching!

Nancy
Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Ok, Here is my latest. My October quilt project that I just got finished this week. See Muv some of my projects take me months to make. The skeleton came from an apron fabric material. Binding was made from the leftovers of that fabric, the instructions. Piecing done on Two Spools, straight stitch quilting on Davis NVF, and decorative stitching on Singer 224. All machines in treadles. Also, not all of my points are perfect. I like to hide those imperfections with a decorative stitch that is used as part of the quilting. Life isn't perfect and neither am I. Thank God!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]381602[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]381603[/ATTACH]
Monica, I love it! Is that two quilts or front and back of one quilt? I have always loved red and black quilts. Your little headless skeleton is so cute too! The triangles missing top points are a great addition - like the headless skeleton!

I too am staying off the computer as much as I can! I need to get my Christmas projects done!

Nancy
Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 AM

This is one quilt. I love making quilts that have two different themes or motifs for the front and back. Part of the challenge for me in creating a quilt is how can I incorporate the front and back together with fabrics and quilting while keeping the two looking different. I don't do this always with my quilts, but sometimes when I'm working on piecing the front I play with ideas for the back in my head. This quilt, minus the solid red and whites, was made from leftover fabrics from other quilting and sewing projects. The back triangles were made from the leftovers of the leftovers front fabrics. I just used glue stick to hold the triangles down on the white fabric and then used a decorative stitch to attach them. I'm too lazy to play with fusing material.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
This is one quilt. I love making quilts that have two different themes or motifs for the front and back. Part of the challenge for me in creating a quilt is how can I incorporate the front and back together with fabrics and quilting while keeping the two looking different. I don't do this always with my quilts, but sometimes when I'm working on piecing the front I play with ideas for the back in my head. This quilt, minus the solid red and whites, was made from leftover fabrics from other quilting and sewing projects. The back triangles were made from the leftovers of the leftovers front fabrics. I just used glue stick to hold the triangles down on the white fabric and then used a decorative stitch to attach them. I'm too lazy to play with fusing material.
Monica, I have made a couple quilts reversible, but usually by the time I finish the front I am so tired of the quilt that I just want to put a back on and get it quilted! I have a lot of respect for anyone who takes the time to piece the back of their quilt! So purrrrty! Both sides of your quilt are equally beautiful.

Nancy
Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Muv

Monica - Hats off to you with the reversible quilt. Such a lovely fresh colour combination too.

Monica and Nancy - I've passed on the compliments from you to Lily. She's just had her 10th birthday, so I sent her a pack of fat quarters. I've just had a really sweet card from her saying she "will use it to make something nice." Her next door neighbour is a quilter, and apparently she is working on a secret project with her.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 AM

Muv, your doll quilt is gorgeous. I'm guessing those square must be really tiny. Lily has a good eye for colour. I hope she is happy to share with us whatever she decides to create with her birthday fat quarters.

Clare
Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Hi everyone I haven't been on this site for a while and OH MY what beautiful quilts you all have made. I love everyone of them and the colors are great.
Now I do have one I want to show you but, you may have already seen it on another part of the board. It's called Ranchers Daughter. Also a picture of a table topper I made for my DIL.
Attached Thumbnails p1010857.jpg   christmas-table-topper.jpg