Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1884

Thread: Quilts made using vintage machines!

Thes are just blankets ... old pants, the redish stuff is old upholstery fabric That was to be used for seat in a horse drawn carriage, but started smelling, so the guy gave me an entire roll ...washed it's smell fine. LOL..

my cusin G/F had a pink atlas, He tried to relube the motor ( No Power )and THEN !! still no power plus it was a smoke bomb, The fix remove the axle grease used clean the contact and she's as good as new. To test the machine, I did this one it's 6x7 old thremal blanket as batting, old stain black waterbed sheet from the 70's as a back and it's a blanket again . LOL..
    The red has gold diamonds, There's a black border around it ,,
    she'd cried when I gave it to her and the machine. I had given them a 15 clone in trade for the screwed atlas. I told them to keep both machine, but NEVER get rid of that pink atlas as you'll never find a better machine...

Last edited by oneday; 07-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.

his was off sized blocks left over from a couple other projects. no idea how many machines were used, I don't know the blocks were done on treadles...

It's a mix of ploy and cotton, This has a ploy batting .. full king size. anyway again it's all left overs..

This one , I had a plan, but forgot what that was , since this spring I have made five of these denim's, The one on the car is the only one with batting inside,, some have a red border, The others are a very dark Brown, almost black, It's charlie Brown >> Brown aka ups brown

when you shake these to spread them out on a bed, they have a metalic sound.. I use cotton sheets as a backing ..

I did take pic's of the others, I gave those to friends..

100% ploy with joie's thichest ploy batting..The back is some kind of fuzzy ploy fabric and looks like a circus tent..in it's colors.. object of making this was to get back into sewing the long seams,, each seam is sewn twice, folded, ironed and sewn again.. in the pic's the black looks a bit washed out, but is not, it's very black

It's king sized, it turns out to be light weight and very very warm. I hate to say it, but I do like it ..

over the last two winters I have made 16 of these king sized,, afew singles one denim queen. Thats alot of thread

Last edited by oneday; 07-23-2013 at 06:43 PM.

And Then ....

I'm thinking of recovering this chair, I can use the red stuff, but I just did a wing back in the red and gold fabric.

This chair was made in 1931, it's been in the family always, recovered twice with that 50's plastic crap. The thing isn't worth the time. it's low to the ground, feels like it will tip over backwards, yet as kids it was fought over every night.. I always lost.. and Then I tossed this piece over it, it looked pretty cold,

way not recover the thing with piece together denim, That piece shown, it's all very small pieces left over.

talk about ma n pa kettle

And Then, Ma Helper

Now days we hear this term of Bucket list, Believe me this quilt/blanket making, sewing machine fix'n wasn't on that list ...butt, now one of my buckets is half empty

and one is full to the brim ,, starting to think this bucklist is a crock of ....... it's starting to over flow..

Now ain't this just a pickle.

Blog Entries
    Oneday, you have been busy! It is amazing that you were able to make so many quilts from old fabric, upholstery fabric, denim, old pants, sheets, blankets. What machine did you use to make all those quilts, blankets?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Here is a cheater quilt I just finished using my new Signature. The sewing machine I just bought two weeks ago for $20 from Hospice! It is for my new truck camper bed. My ganddaughters and I are going horse camping next weekend so I needed a fast quilt. The middle isName:  Camperquilt.JPG
Views: 615
Size:  1.74 MB 3 panels, then I added the oriental border, then horse borders, quilted it and bound it! It measures 86x100!

Beautiful quilt made on a sweet treadle.

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    I just finished piecing a Smokey Mountain Stars top, still needs borders. I used 30s repros. The free pattern can be found on www.quiltville.com. I pieced it with my 1955 Pfaff model 60 treadle.
    Sharon
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Nancy, I like you horse theme quilt that you plan to use for camping.

Judy, Nicely done quilt with both sides having two different quilt patterns.

Nancy, I really can ay which machines at this point.. I switch around to much. LOL...

I do know it's between that pink atlas, whatever that 15 clone was that I gave away. The treadles I have been using are that Toyota and my homemade hacker singer 15 - ?. The electric's I do use are pfaff 130 , then a 237 , 15 - 88 , 15 - 91 , any time I need to get sometime done quick it's the 301. Then on quilts that I don't have photo's of I've used a kenmore , dressmaker , a Elgin , all the other treadles which there's to many of those to write out all the names LOL..

Then to put them together it's between a 31 -15 and that 15 - 88 ..

All the fabric came from places like salavtion army or st vinny or mostly yard and estate sales. The estates where sad to see, This is where I bought huges bags and boxes stuff full of new fabric at prices like 2 and 4 $ per bag

What was sad, 3 estate sales, I knew who each lady/ family was, each was just over 90 yrs old..To go into there homes and see what they did in the way of sewing. What was left of there lifes collection..I also bought treadle machines at each sale..

At the start of this my mom died, I had my choice of her sewing stuff , I look back now , doing so many quilts , It ma have been my way of letting these people know there life will be remember, That there toys ( fabric ) went to a very good use. And it gave me some thing to do , LOL, Doing this really does help keep you warm during those cold winters, quilting aking size on a home type machine is a work out.

I'm amazed at the work and skill it takes to make a really nice quilt, I will never get that far ,,

Blog Entries
    oneday, how nice that are put those fabrics to use.

Nancy, your 'quick' quilt is very nice. I really like the strong colors in the borders.

nancy your pic of the horse theme just loaded for me. I was waiting for John wanye to come Riding up .. LOL... This pattern reminds me of eastern calif ..

It looks like you did a heavy ZZ around the center panels in Brown , is that right

Oneday, you certainly have been busy. That's a lot of quilts..... good job!

Nancy, your horse quilt looks like it will be perfect for your camping trip.... I find border fabric to be challenging but you certainly came up with a nice combination..... super job.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all! I needed to get something done fast, and I had all the fabric on hand. The horse quilt is perfect for my camper since it will be used mostly for horse camping! Sometimes it is very rewarding to dig into your stash and just go for it! Even the back is horsey and pieced from my stash! It is pretty fun to make an easy cheater quilt once in a while!

Oneday, no zig zag on that quilt. I free motion quilted it with a lot of loops!

Nancy

Monroe, thank you for your kind comments on my quilt.

Oneday, I really like that denim quilt with a few red triangles and flying geese. I have a lot of denim saved up and I've added your quilt to my folder of "ideas" so I can use it for inspiration later.

Nancy, you are calling that a "cheater" quilt but I can see a lot of thought a design went into that. I never would have thought to put oriental fabric with those panels but it is perfect. Nice job. What do you mean by 'horse camping'? Do you bring horses along for riding while you are rving?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post

Nancy, you are calling that a "cheater" quilt but I can see a lot of thought a design went into that. I never would have thought to put oriental fabric with those panels but it is perfect. Nice job. What do you mean by 'horse camping'? Do you bring horses along for riding while you are rving?
    I auditioned lots of fabric with the horse panels and the oriental border just looked the best to me! Somehow it just made the whole quilt richer looking. Thank you Judy, even cheater quilts take planning!

Horse camping is just that. I just bought a nice little camper to go on the truck. I am getting too paranoid about tent camping by ourselves, I feel too vulnerable. My grandaughter and I love to go to different locations that are set up with corrals for people who go camping with their horses. We get our camp all ready and head out on the trails for some exploration - there are lots and lots of horse friendly camping grounds within a couple hours drive from me!We are going next weekend for the first time with my new camper!
    Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 07-25-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Well, finally, I've gotten a quilt done...... breaking your arm sure does slow you down. I did the top on this one with my 50's FW and I confess.... I quilted it on my Viking 1+. It was too big to do on the FW and all my other machines are at the winter place. I don't have any room here at the cabin. Anyway, I posted this on the UFO challenge site as well since I started this quilt 5 years ago..... and I have a matching top done so there will be 2 for the twin beds in the guest room. After the next wave of company leaves, I'll get the other one finished. It's going to look a little funny in that room with one cabiny-fishy quilt and one Dresden plate quilt but that's the way it's going to be for now....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nanna;

Love the fishy quilt. It looks fabulous in that bedroom.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    "Gone fishing" I really like your quilt and the repaired machine did a nice job quilting whether it's vintage or not.

Nanna, very nice quilt! Perfect for the lake. Will your arm ever be 100%? I hurt my knee a few years ago and had surgery, PT, but it will never be the same. I hope your arm does fully recover.

Nancy, that sounds like fun! We just got a puppy and are taking him along in the trailer. It is fun to get away and take the pets. I don't blame you for no longer wanting to stay in a tent. Your camper sounds perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    I don't blame you for no longer wanting to stay in a tent.
    No kidding!! Ever since we camped in a national park (in bear country) and they parked the tenters next to the stream, I said that's it!! Now we pull a trailer, and the furries can come with us, and I don't wake up grumpy as a bear because my back's sore from sleeping on a rock that wasn't there when I went to sleep.

Here are my latest 2

Name:  IMG_0684.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  78.4 KB

Pieced on the 301, and quilted either on the 301 or the Pfaff 6122 (not vintage, yet?) I can't recall. (Yes, that's a little embarrassing, since it was only a week or two ago that I finished it. )

My first time trying to follow a stencil. I think free hand is easier.

And this one:

Name:  IMG_0348.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  110.1 KB

A couple of months ago, not the best FMQ I've ever done (by far) but I'm pretty happy with the liner. This one fits inside the FW case, or a soft sided bag that I have, and protects Eliza. I'm thinking of adding a pocket on that side that hangs down when it's open, to hold scissors and such. Completely assembled and quilted on the 301.

Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast