Restoration Resource

Old 02-15-2021, 02:03 PM

Default Restoration Resource

I have a featherweight that needs some TLC. Does anyone know of a reliable/trustworthy person/company who does paint restoration work on featherweights?
Old 02-15-2021, 06:31 PM

Most people I know take their Featherweights to an auto-body shop for paint restoration.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:07 AM

I hope this is ok to post. I have no personal experience with this company, but gave been ogling his website for several years. Lots of beautiful machines, unique paint, hand painting, and decals. https://deskdave.com/
Old 02-16-2021, 09:39 AM

I would check with the Featherweightshop.com.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:17 PM

Be careful here. I can tell you my sad, sad story, or I can just tell you that not all auto body shops/painters are created equal.
You're smart to get referrals first.
If you can, talk to lots of happy customers.
Thanks, WIChix. I may try that route...if I decide to spend another very large chunk of cash...and if I decide I want to ship this poor little thing. I've been considering deskdave for some time, too. But that is a really, really large amount of money to spend...I still can't justify it.

My sad story
I took mine to a local, reputed auto body painter who had done hundreds of FWs. He said he no longer does them.
I was bummed, so went to another shop. the only other one in the area that would agree to do it, because I didn't want to ship my FW.
they said that they had a guy.....

actually, he did a beautiful job on the paint. he did a beautiful job on the first decal. then he decided to try to put the rest of the decals on some other way. Not good! They came out bumpy and wrinkled, but he put a clear coat on top of them anyway. Found out afterwards that he had never attempted to paint anything but fenders before.

Also, he painted all the screws & screw holes. None of them will fit together now. I bought replacement screws, but they won't fit either. I will have to go back and try to get the paint out of the screw holes and original screw threads.....he dropped and broke the motor....it took him about 6 weeks overall, because he was only working on it after hours, and on his own time.

all that was before covid. it is still in parts....

but the color I picked is so pretty!!! I really do like it. can't decide what to do next.....

Last edited by mindless; 02-16-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:45 AM

Google featherweight paint restoration, or featherweight repainting. There are likely others, and perhaps closer to you.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:46 AM

Mindless, that is so sad! I'm sorry you had to go through that experience.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Also, he painted all the screws & screw holes. None of them will fit together now. I bought replacement screws, but they won't fit either. I will have to go back and try to get the paint out of the screw holes and original screw threads.....he dropped and broke the motor....but the color I picked is so pretty!!! I really do like it. can't decide what to do next.....
My guy also painted the screw holes by mistake, but when we put it back together, we used a dremel and a drill to clean all the paint out of the holes to put it back together. It took some elbow grease, but its back together and looks AWESOME. Just go slow, and you can get that paint out and get it to fit. So I would encourage you to do the same ;-) If the paint looks good, then drill out the paint and go for it, esp if you love the paint job. Hugs!
Old 02-18-2021, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rebaquilts View Post
My guy also painted the screw holes by mistake, but when we put it back together, we used a dremel and a drill to clean all the paint out of the holes to put it back together. It took some elbow grease, but its back together and looks AWESOME. Just go slow, and you can get that paint out and get it to fit. So I would encourage you to do the same ;-) If the paint looks good, then drill out the paint and go for it, esp if you love the paint job. Hugs!
Thank you for the encouragement! Maybe I will give it another go.