Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sacrificed the Featherweight!

What a nice thing you did. Maybe your little sister will do the right thing and have a change of heart one day? Just think about all the guilt she has every time she looks at the lamp. She can't be enjoying it all that much.

I got a scroll plate from Ebay several years ago for my featherweight so I know they're findable, although I've also seen scroll plate machines for sale occasionally. Good luck with your search!

Your sacrafice and unselfish compassion for your sisters feeling will be richly rewarded, especially when you gave it with joy. What a gret lesson. Thank you for sharing!

I lost my sister in 2007 and wish every day I had her back.I only had one.So many times I want to pick up the phone and call her and I cant. My mom died 2009 and im the only girl left.I get real lonley and want to cry.Husband doesn't understand because he has all his brother and sisters and talks to them a lot.We moved to Az in 2005 and haven't met many people to hang with.So please put all differences aside and be glad you have your siters to talk to and even squable with.Once their gone its forever.

Kas
    Y'all are making me cry again! I asked her why she took it knowing it was supposed to be mine. Her response was since I took a box of junk jewelry that had been my grandmother's (sister was in 3rd grade) that I got everything. What? Daddy gave her the sterling jewelry from the same grandmother. I got the old missmatched stuff she hadn't worn in 20 years. She told me it was all about me. No, it's all about honor. I know there is a beautiful featherweight out there with my name on it. The only reason I haven't gotten one yet is because I knew someday my mom would give me hers and it is more special. But Doty wanted it and really, I am so glad it is where it will be loved and not taken just because it "matches" which is what is going on with the lamp. It is just stuff, but it's also the thought of the thing and how it all went down. I love you guys!

Blog Entries
    My two girls are adults and I told them anything of the house hold items that you feel is 'your's from your childhood memories ask me if you can take it now. I got rid of a lot of items I didn't need to keep anymore and they each got what they thought was most important to them. They don't sew or quilt so my stash and machines were safe. I knew that before I told them to pick now. LOL. Funny, they picked items that I never thought about. From a casserole dish that was on our table almost every night to my grandfather's old ash tray.

Bless your heart! I agree with the others, what goes around comes around. You will be blessed because of your kindness and compassion! And, what a great role model your big sis is!!

You are so unselfish. Not many would be so big and kind. You will be blessed, maybe find one at a very low price. :thumbup: I sure hope your sister appreciates you.

Boy, it is SO HARD to lose a parent and have the emotional trappings of memories attached to their things! I have five siblings and when our mom died almost six years ago, there were (and still are to some extent) hurt feelings about things with memories attached.

I pray for my family and all others who go through this. My mom had nothing of significant monetary value, however I could almost cry when I see one of my siblings with something they don't give a hoot about, but I have loads of memories wrapped up in that particular object.

Bless you for being able to let go. That was a brave and loving thing to do!

So many people would have just taken it anyway. You considered your sister's feelings, how thoughtful and kind. That was very generous of you.

God bless you..

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat7925
    Fighting over worldly 'stuff' doesn't do anybody any good. Keeping the peace makes you feel good! ....
    Sometimes it is necessary to stand up to others - and the regret over not doing that lingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnmarieodya
    I lost my sister in 2007 and wish every day I had her back.I only had one.So many times I want to pick up the phone and call her and I cant. My mom died 2009 and im the only girl left.I get real lonley and want to cry.Husband doesn't understand because he has all his brother and sisters and talks to them a lot.We moved to Az in 2005 and haven't met many people to hang with.So please put all differences aside and be glad you have your siters to talk to and even squable with.Once their gone its forever.
    Dawnmarie, I'm in AZ and you can talk to me anytime your lonely! I get lonely, too, and my husband doesn't understand either. If you'd like,
    pm me and I'll send you my information. Hugs, Chris

I had done a clan crest in cross-stitch for my mom and dad. I no longer have the pattern. A few years ago, we were at my sisters' place and there is the crest hanging on the wall. So I asked my mom why she gave it to sister--her reply was that it was okay. It still makes me angry when I think about it, so I try not to. Familys are more important than stuff.

I am going to surprise my sister this week-end for her birthday with a 1941 Fetherweight I got on E-bay...it has the scroll face....
    You did the right thing to show your sister your love----you can feel the good warm feelings that no one can take away...Bless you (sounds like you have been blessed with a loving heart)

Very well said and so true!
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    I tell my kids all the time that "things are just things and memories are forever." If something disappears, gets stolen or broken or isn't bought, it doesn't matter. It's our memories that we will have forever.
    :thumbup:

You are a truly good person with a heart of gold!
    Beautiful blessings will come your way!!!

Hope you find a nice one soon. That was so nice of you. Wish you could get that tiffany lamp. I learned that lesson young. My Grandmother had always promised me her music box. But after she died, my step grandfather gave it to my cousin. My aunt bought me another for Christmas that year, but it was never the same and I still think of that music box. My cousin is in AU now and has several grand daughters and I have only grand sons, so maybe it was meant to be that way.

Had a coffee cup that said, "Sisters are forever".

You are a loving, caring sister. God bless you for your loving heart.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspharm
    Very sweet. You're a great sister.

Good luck on your FW hunt. Another option is buy a FW with the straight lines and look for a scroll face to replace it. I know other people have done this.
    What a great idea! I would like to have that for mine, it's an art piece. I am forever finding out new things and ideas. Don't ever think your ideas are not worthwhile. Thanks to this board, I think I'm getting smarter :)

Material things cannot fix hurt feelings from words said...it is better to not have any materials things and have all the memories than to risk hurt feelings that usually fester and become an emotional cancer ....

That is so very nice for you to do that. I might have one with the scroll face that I might part with. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested and I will check for you. You are a very unselfish sister. Bless you!

I just lost my sister in September and miss her every day. We total opposites but we could talk for hours. I had lost my other sister in 1999. I am the only girl left. My Sister-in-laws sisters have officialy told my they are now my sisters and I love them for it. Just lost a brother last week unexpectedly> so now I only have four brothers left. Nothing they will ever do will stop me from loveing them. I may not always like them but underneath we are family and any time we are together we put our differeces aside.

What a sweet sister you are. You will be blessed with another FW, I am sure.

You are a very special sister!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Your a Good Sister...I'm giving you a pat on your back...
    Think of the fun you'll have on the hunt to find your perfect featherweight to call all your own...
    You so blessed your sister!!! Good for you. You'll get a reward for this...maybe not the featherweight you expect, but also maybe something much better than that!! :-)

Blessings! Janice

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast