Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sew many machines, sew little time. >

Sew many machines, sew little time.

Sew many machines, sew little time.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:41 PM

Default Sew many machines, sew little time.

It's been a busy couple of weeks, machine-pick-up-wise. My local enabler, er...I mean sister, and I took a road trip to see my Minnesota enabler, er...I mean sister. Plus a lady across the river in IL who runs a free sewing room gave me 3 machines, and then a thrift store find locally.

IL free machines: Singer 185 (my first green machine; hopefully I won't somehow change its color while cleaning it), Necchi, Singer 128 clone

Thrift Store: Singer 401 with original manual, accessories, etc for $10. The machine spins well, but the motor wasn't spinning the machine well, so I cleaned the motor...no change...then I opened up the ceramic-insides button foot control, not for the faint of heart as those little carbon discs are fragile and hard to handle. But it works much better. I normally trust my work, but I won't be using that foot control, makes me nervous because some of the discs were broken and couldn't be used.

Minnesota: Everything else in the picture. Four machines already rehomed (New Home Rotary, Singer 27, two Lotus 66s) didn't make the picture and along with another which belongs to another post about a Kenmore 120-491. I wasn't exactly sure how many machines came home from up north, but I believe they were self replicating during the 9+ hour drive as I unpacked at least 4 machines which I didn't remember packing.

I have already cleaned the 127 in the foreground. I am not suggesting anyone try what I did, but I placed the machine in a foil roasting pan and used Gunk foaming engine degreaser, a kerosene based automotive degreaser. After it dried and received a coat of oil I think it came out OK, and I didn't lose any decals.

And lots of attachments, accessories, etc on top of all the machines.
Attached Thumbnails 20211026_150311.jpg  
Old 10-26-2021, 02:53 PM

You are a brave soul who should be congratulated on tackling all of the restoration and repairs on these machines.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:58 AM

Some great looking machines! Enjoy!
Old 10-27-2021, 03:40 AM

Three cheers for the enablers! Have fun fixing that herd of machines.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:28 AM

Your machines are beautiful, especially the Singer hand crank in front. I'm trying to find one around here but haven't seen one, so far.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:09 AM

Such a good looking bunch! Enjoy them.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:13 AM

is your sis married? Does she wanna be? hehe Great additions
Old 10-27-2021, 11:00 AM

Oh My! Mt DH would disown me if I bought that many machine home with me he already struggles with the 14 machines I have here and 2 more on the way. Congratulations on your bravery.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore View Post
You are a brave soul who should be congratulated on tackling all of the restoration and repairs on these machines.
"Brave" is one word. I'm sure some onlookers have others which would invoke a moderator's wrath were I to type them.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltBaer View Post
Your machines are beautiful, especially the Singer hand crank in front. I'm trying to find one around here but haven't seen one, so far.
That's a reproduction hand crank. I have never seen a "real" Singer hand crank in person.