Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sewing machine repair schools ? >

Sewing machine repair schools ?

Sewing machine repair schools ?

Old 11-24-2015, 06:50 AM

Default Sewing machine repair schools ?

DH would really like to learn how to fix my many vintage sewing machines as well as do minor things on my good Bernina. He has tinkered around some but we are wondering if anyone knows of a repair school in the Midwest where he could take classes. I tried emailing one school in Missouri but got no reply. I think there is one in upper Indiana run by the Mennonites, we need electricity for our machines. It's just a hobby but I think a good school would help him a great deal.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 AM

For Vintage machines, the best school is reading online and taking them apart. Now, if you want to make a trip to South Dakota, my husband could spend a day showing him the basics.

now, if you want to learn New machines, there usually are seminars put on by the Mfg that you can take (usually not cheap) to learn the specifics of their machines.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Ray White has been doing this for years. I can't vouch for him because I've never taken his class, but I'd like to. It looks like he's scheduled to be in the Midwest in 2016.
http://www.whitesewingcenter.com/repairclass.php

Maybe others here can comment on the quality of his training.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:04 AM
Banned

x2 on Ray's classes. I got to sit in on one of his classes while waiting to pick up an OLD machine from him to do some parts fabrication. Really nice guy and a MASSIVE amount of knowledge.

x2 on what Cathy said as well.

Get a cheap old clunker (that you will not care about) and do a complete take apart and rebuild. you'll know plenty by the time you are done.

Also, when working on a machine, ask yourself "what does THIS do, how does/should it work?" Rather than just "does this work?" the difference is pretty amazing as to what you begin to understand.

Last edited by SteveH; 11-24-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:36 AM

I'm with Steve in that trades school classes are great, online is a wealth of (mostly) free information, but lessons from an experinced sewing machine guy is best.

I tried to find a sewing machine guy in my area years ago so I could at least fix the 'bobbon snot' issue I was having with my former plastic machine, but found most are quite busy and a little crumugiony so my requests for lessons where politely but off-handedly dismissed. With the good things our fellows here have said about him, if Ray White will be in your area soon go for it
Old 11-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Banned

the issue is what they get paid for...

Ray is paid to teach how
OSMG's are paid to do the repairs (teaching you would therefore NOT be in their own best interests)
Old 11-24-2015, 10:58 AM

+1 to Steve's comment. Often they'll collect the minimum service charge (at my local shop it's $85) for a thread jam, needle in backwards, throat plate improperly installed (301 or Featherweight) or other minor issue that takes no more than a few minutes to resolve. In fact, I imagine that makes up a significant chunk of their revenue.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Bernina does NOT allow anyone to tinker with their machines, they will void your warranty. So be careful.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
the issue is what they get paid for...

Ray is paid to teach how
OSMG's are paid to do the repairs (teaching you would therefore NOT be in their own best interests)
What Steve said.

As to the minimum charge for a 15 minute repair, they have to get the machine out. Set it up. Diagnose the problem and then repair it. Then they have to make sure it's working correctly. In addition, the cost of repair has to cover their overhead, i.e. rent, salaries, utilities, bookkeeping, taxes and everything you pay when you run a business. You are also paying for their expertise and knowledge (which is valuable) I figure if it was so easy, I'd do it myself.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:36 PM

And I completely understand why they don't want to teach the customer. They need to make a living and I don't resent them for the lack of sharing. It could also have just been the repair guys in my area because several posts on the board have stated many technicians are willing to teach their customer's some basics. I understand how the American system works but I could not afford $85 every few months on a machine that wasn't heavily used.

On the other hand if I could have fixed the bobbin snot problem myself and only taken the machine in for a yearly tune up, I wouldn't have gotten into antique sewing machines which I can service myself and they'd be getting at least $85 a year for the tune ups.

Of course, then I wouldn't be here chatting with you fine people ;P

Last edited by Freaky_Quilts_Dragon; 11-24-2015 at 12:38 PM.