Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Singer 101 any info appreciated

Blog Entries

Singer 101 any info appreciated

I went to an Estate auction this morning to see about a Featherweight- it went above my budget but I did get this machine for a whooping $5.00 came home plugged it in and it works Will dust it off and give it to my niece who has caught the sewing/quilting bug

The book says it is a 101 the serial number AC186803 says it is from 1928- other than that I know nothing about it -
    Attached Images Attached Images

To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Hi Sharon b
    lovely machine and I love the table .
    Jan

The 101 has the distinction of being the first designed for a potted motor machine singer made. Obviously in the old classic.black style. I am unsure of the system, (oscillating or rotary hook) and also do not know what bobbins they take. They are not super popular but I am sure they are stout prescise and reliable. Hopefully someone will be along to give you some first hand info on them.

I forgot to mention what lovely condition that one is in and I LOVE that recall set. Not sure I have seen it before.

Blog Entries
    greywuuf- forgive me but what is a recall set ?

I am a tad disappointed no attachments came with it or extra bobbins - so will have to figure that out for her... there was one bobbin in it but I am sure she will need/want more

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    greywuuf- forgive me but what is a recall set ?
    A "Recall set" is what my phone auto corrects "Decal set" to. In other words I really like the little arrow points on the "gold leaf"
    As far as atachments, it should be a low shank machine and use any of the many and varied feet suitable for any other "classic" singer (and others) I am kind of Jealous, I really like it. Maybe Joe will come along and tell you which bobbins you can use... My gut is leaning towards class 66 but I am not certain.

Blog Entries
    The 101 is going to use the Class 66 bobbins.
    What a beautiful machine! Remember lube for the motor ports and oil for the rest of it. Dan is right in that it will take the standard short shank attachments.

I think you should send it to me.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

The 101 fascinates me no end. When I saw the first one, the first thought I had was how tiny and inappropriate the hand wheel looked. But still I was curious. When I finally found out what the significance of the machine is I decided that some day I want one. In a case though, I've got enough machines in cabinets.

Sharon, you got a good buy ( you stole it you know ) on that machine. Your niece will be thrilled.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Ok so where do I find a class 66 bobbin ? I just hope I can get my niece to appreciate the older machines Of course she learned to sew on a "new" computerized Brother with all the fancy stitches so this will be interesting -oh and trying to use the knee lever LOL

Thanks for all the info
    I just knew for 5.00 I couldn't pass it up - it was sitting there so sad and lonely

Wish I had the cash for the featherweight I went to check out- that had all the attachments including the walking foot and went for $250.00- but that was just out of reach for me

I have one that I have not picked up from my OSMG. It needed to be rewired. They are not very common. But I am anticipating that it should sew as nice a a 201 or 15-91. I will know on Tuesday when I get mine back. I would say that is an awesome machine and cabinet at an awesome price.

You can get good 66 bobbins at Sew-Classic. Don't buy the ones available at Joannes, the quality is not good and the old girls don't like them.
    Last edited by Caroline S; 05-20-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Caroline- she sews like a dream ( oh excuse me "He" my niece says it will be a guy LOL) I just had to rethread the top and off she went and so quiet - my niece is excited to be getting him and is working on a name I should have posted a pic of the front plate it is really neat- or as (again) my niece says it is so pretty !

I was going to mention what awesome condition that machine appeared to be in, I bet he cleaned up beautiful. I think you should post some after shots of it, all ready to go.

Here are pics of the 101 bobbins and attachments that came with my 101. I forgot that I still had the 101 attachments box in my truck.

Also attached is a picture of the bobbin case for Greywuuf.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    She loved it ! I was worried she wouldn't get the history behind the machine- or want it because it didn't have all the fancy things the new machines have , but I really underestimated her. We will get together next week and clean him - She named him Sebastian - she is worried about taking him apart and not getting him back together properly. She filled a bobbin I had for my 401A and threaded the machine - I gave her a bunch of 4 inch squares I had here to tinker with and get use to the machine , so when she finishes she will have a scrappy top Name:  Picture 013.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  471.1 KBName:  Picture 014.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  489.9 KBName:  Picture 016.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  538.3 KBName:  Picture 018.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  424.6 KBThe front plate

Blog Entries
    Caroline that is the bobbin in the machine - when we went to try and put it on the winder it wouldn't go on, not sure why ?

Blog Entries
    pictures don't come up on my computer
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Caroline that is the bobbin in the machine - when we went to try and put it on the winder it wouldn't go on, not sure why ?
    Hmmm. I will be picking up my 101 today and if I have any problems with the bobbin winder and the bobbins. Perhaps someone else can give you some suggestions at this point.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Caroline- will your machine have received a both while it was gone ? Can't wait for you to get yours back and see what you think about the stitches
    Last edited by sharon b; 05-21-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Caroline- will your machine have received a both while it was gone ? Can't wait for you to get yours back and see what you think about the stitches
    I am thinking you mean a bath? Well I did clean and oil it before I took it to the OSMG. Could not help myself, sort of like cleaning house before the cleaning lady comes. Of course I don't have a cleaning lady but that item is on my wish list. He did not like the idea that I waxed it though. He did mention that it was very shiny and slippery.
    Sweet Caroline

Sharon B,
    The bobbin won't fit on the bobbin winder because the hole is too small; a common problem with newer bobbins. I use vintage bobbins in my Singers 66,99,201 and 353 Genie. I bought a lot of 35 bobbins from Ebay several years ago.
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    Caroline- yes I meant bath LOL

Purplefiend- the bobbin that wouldn't fit on the winder was from the machine looks just like the ones pictured above with no holes -the one from my 401A went right on the winder.

Caroline- yes I meant bath LOL

Purplefiend- the bobbin that wouldn't fit on the winder was from the machine looks just like the ones pictured above with no holes -the one from my 401A went right on the winder.
    Just got back from picking up my 101. The head is still sitting in the back seat of the truck but I did go out and test the bobbins, original single hole, that came with the machine on the bobbin winder. They slipped right on. When it stops raining I will bring her in and take some more pictures.

Also, I mentioned to my OSMG that I needed a zigzag plate for the Morse 4400 that I purchased last week. He said how would you like the whole machine? Of course, you know what I said. LOL So I came home with another Morse 4400 in a case for free. He had it in his dispose of pile. Don't know if it is operational yet but who cares, I can always use it for parts if need be.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Caroline- can't wait to see what you think of the stitching on the 101- I think it is awesome

Wonder if the bobbin will slide on better once it is cleaned up a bit hhhmmmmm - Can't wait to see more of your pics

Blog Entries
    these machines are great, please open the bottom of the machine take the bottom plate off and check to make sure the bottom is getting oil it is a wick prosses and needs to be oiled every time you put the machine down in the cabnet , I also have one it is in a cabnet just like the one you have , on the bobbin winder is a small peice of metel that the bobbin fits on and will not wind if it dosnt slide on the right way.Dottie Bug

Blog Entries
    Dottie- the problem is the bobbin won't even slide onto the peg- I think it maybe that the "peg" is gummed up - so maybe after we give him a good bath . The bobbin I have for my 401A just slide right on- but that one must have a bigger center hole ?

So every time we drop the machine down we should oil it ? Oh- oh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast