Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer 127 Hand Crank Suitable for Sewing Sails?

Singer 127 Hand Crank Suitable for Sewing Sails?

Hi Group,

I have a 1924 Singer machine, and am on the cusp of turning it into a hand crank.

Would this old single-stitch, long-bobbin machine be suitable for life on a sailboat? That is, would it be strong enough to sew through sailcloth reliably?

Does one need zig zag to repair sails?

(I do not sail, myself, but would like to re-home the machine to a sailboat, maybe!)
    -Cecilia. Tinkering more than stitching, really.

Absolutely! I use a 127 HC for just that purpose. I have sewn Naugahyde, boat covers, sailcloth, and most everything with it. The key is thread/needle combinations. I will use a 16 needle with v-69 polyester most often. I use a leather #16 needle with v-69 polyester on leather and Naugahyde. It's perfect. I don't use it at the marina as they would laugh at me. I carry over the Reliable walking foot HC to assure them they are in good hands.
    Ron in NW MO

I've been told that a zig zag is very desirable for sail repair. The Pfaff 130 is one of the favorite machines to put on a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
    Hi Group,
    I have a 1924 Singer machine, and am on the cusp of turning it into a hand crank.

Would this old single-stitch, long-bobbin machine be suitable for life on a sailboat? That is, would it be strong enough to sew through sailcloth reliably?

Does one need zig zag to repair sails?

(I do not sail, myself, but would like to re-home the machine to a sailboat, maybe!)
    This is the one I use for much of my boat and canvas repairs - actually a 128. I'm still confusing 127s and 128s. I'm sure a larger throat would be desirable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vridar; 11-12-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    Ron in NW MO

Blog Entries
    I would think you wouldn't want a lot of weight on it but it should go through the layers.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

ROn - is the upside down photo meant to show how it is going to look when on the high seas? ;-)
    -Cecilia. Tinkering more than stitching, really.

ROn - is the upside down photo meant to show how it is going to look when on the high seas? ;-)
    it's for using in the southern hemisphere!

Is it upside down? Maybe my iPad needs turning. Otherwise, I'll have to ship it to Australia. But, the HC will work backwards down there.
    Ron in NW MO

Blog Entries
    Someone bought cute little 128 from me to use on a sail boat. His wife wouldn't let him use her Viking - it was cheaper to buy the 128 than to repair the Viking after he was done with it... I wonder how he knew that????

Ron,

My wife is going to need a new top to one of her canopys. The plastic/fiber one has finally given up and started rotting.
    So, where do you get the v-69 polyester thread, and what canvas would you suggest for this? It can't be super heavy, but it needs to be water resistant.

As for a machine to use, we have that covered.

Here's your pic right side up:
    Name:  Rons 128.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  248.0 KB

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Ron,

My wife is going to need a new top to one of her canopys. The plastic/fiber one has finally given up and started rotting.
    So, where do you get the v-69 polyester thread, and what canvas would you suggest...

Here's your pic right side up:

Joe
    You guys are serious about the upside down picture? It's right side up viewing on my iPad. I'll have to check my computer's view.

As to thread and fabric, I get a lot of my stuff from Sailrite.com. They have an abundance of fabrics, work with a person, and have videos. They even have free videos on awnings and a canopy would be the same. Sunbrella seems to be the choice by our local KC Awning and Tent company and that is what Sailrite uses. It's not cheap. There may be generic equivalents or a different composite fabric. I have not looked into that. I get the thread in cones from Sailrite. I notice JoAnns hase small cones of v-69 but local selection is limited.

Btw, I used a lesser expensive canvas for my last boat cover. It faded and probably won't last 4 years. Sunbrella is almost indestructible.
    Ron in NW MO

Ron,

Yes your pic is upside down ... here. That's why I flipped it.

Thanks for the information on the canvas and thread. I have the Sailrite site bookmarked. ( My wife wants one of those walking foot machines badly. )

Check out Top Value Fabrics: { http://www.topvaluefabrics.com/ } they sell canvas and other fabrics too. We haven't bought from there but have heard good reports about them.

Oh, could you post a pic of that v-69 thread so we'd know what to look for?

Joe

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  200.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  231.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Ron,

Yes your pic is upside down ... here. That's why I flipped it.

Oh, could you post a pic of that v-69 thread so we'd know what to look for?

Joe
    Joe, See my post on "Only This Group Understands..." I wouldn't buy another walking foot, unless your wife has dexterity problems. If one can keep the material feeding without pull or push pressure, one doesn't need the walking foot - says the man who just replaced a bent pressure bar. I try to do the canvas out on a picnic table so as to keep pressure off the needle by maneuvering the material around on the table. Granted it's a little cumbersome and time consuming, but, hey, I'm retired and only sewing as a hobby.

Pictures are attached, hopefully right side up. The first should be my unorganized stash, the second a couple cones, the smaller from JoAnns. The third should be a label on the bottom of JoAnns cone.

Edit: I see my pictures are top and bottom. Hopefully right side up. Hey, I'm a seamstress not an IT manager.
    Last edited by Vridar; 11-14-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    Ron in NW MO

Blog Entries
    There are lots of places to get the thread and Sunbrella - I have dealt with Top Value for years - good company. I don't know if John Clark is retired yet or not. Sunbrella is fairly light weight and strong. It is used for awnings and boat covers. You do need the right thread. Top Value may be able to recommend the thread for the fabric. Or you may go to a place that sells Naugahyde or what ever for car upholstery. I had a ramp system - I prefer a walking foot. The heavy stuff will go much better and you are less likely to bend a needle bar. But it may be cheaper to replace a needle bar than buy a walking foot machine. I think it really depends on how BIG your project will be when you are done.

Ron,
    Thanks for the pics of the v-69 thread. Now I'll have an idea what to look for.

Miriam,
    The project will be a 10'x10' canopy Elaine uses for her craft shows. We plan on using the original as a pattern.
    I doubt we'll buy a WF machine, but from my limited experience with WF attachments they do help with the heavy stuff.

Joe

The wind tore up the cover of a local art show vendor’s Eze-Up canopy and she sold it to me cheap. I sewed it back together with my 1914 Singer 66-1 and Coats Outdoor Thread. We’ve set it up several times, and the stitches are still good.

The photo shows a treadle, but my 66-1 is a portable handcrank. The treadle stand once supported an electric grinder that has since been removed. I picked it up at a farm auction and use it for a utility table, like as a place to set my portable handcrank.

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I've been told that a zig zag is very desirable for sail repair. The Pfaff 130 is one of the favorite machines to put on a boat.
    Yeah. It can double for the boat anchor, or so I have read. LOL (People have joked about that for years.)

I put a handcrank on a 1920s Singer 27 that had the decals all worn off. I've used it for all kinds of jobs, like stitching up ripped horse blankets. I like the full-size head because of the longer arm.
    Last edited by MadCow333; 11-18-2013 at 12:14 PM.