Singer 128-13

Old 07-07-2020, 05:52 AM

Mine go with me to smaller events. They don't go to the museum with 1,400 kids, because the shuttles take longer to load. 99s or 66s gothere. But I like them to show the history of VSMs I love to get people running my machines. I has happy to see your knee control was present.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Mine go with me to smaller events. They don't go to the museum with 1,400 kids, because the shuttles take longer to load. 99s or 66s gothere. But I like them to show the history of VSMs I love to get people running my machines. I has happy to see your knee control was present.
What kind of events Leon? The thought of kids being able to see and use older machines makes me smile if i'm honest. I bought a treadle and recently the FW for her to use
If the machine didn't have the knee-bar, i would of still bought this one purely because of the bentwood case but most likely the machine would of been turned into parts rather than sourcing the knee-bar and paying the high costs for them. Which would of been such a shame. Nope all good news with this one, kinda feels like i won a scratch ticket finding it locally. Thanks for the reply, appreciated. Now what about those events you speak of....any links? Cheers
Old 07-08-2020, 02:26 AM

Congratulations. Looks to be in great condition and should be fun to use.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:55 AM

Mostly our handcranks go to folk life festivals around NE Kansas.I also take my pennyfarthing bike and we dress if garb, if appropriate. We also did a Mother Earth News fair one year. Our state museum has a Kansas Day event the draws 1,400 kids. We've been there for 4 years. Always very busy.

At small events folks get to make treasure pouches. Basically a folded over pocket. A the huge events they fold fabric over, run a seam and make book marks. We like to have as many people as we can get to use the little lovelies. It's all free and we have lot of repeat customers. Besides seeing the kids eyes light up we have a lot of adults that will try it too. One day a lady approached us with tears in her eyes. Her mother ran an old Singer before WW II in Japan and she hadn't seen one in use since then. She was so delighted..

That's me with the long sleeves and my GF at Mother.
Attached Thumbnails merry_cranks-ks-day-2018.jpg   iris-merry-cranks-mother-earth-news.-b.jpg   blackslide-hc-b.jpg   applest-2018-iris-3-gg-b.jpg   hc-apple-28-99-2-users-b.jpg  

Old 07-09-2020, 07:03 AM

Excellent set of pictures Leon. Much respect for the care of the machines and the willingness to share with the youngsters & oldies alike. Envious of the hand cranks you have as they seem so impossible to get here. Anyways, thanks for the post and enjoy yer day.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:03 AM

ha, two shots of a VS Machine, how 'bout that.

GF's granddaughter wanted to go to a bra making class, but doe not like electric machines. needed ZZ. I adapted a BRother to a HC. At the tough parts, the teacher helped crank.

The whole family tried out machines in the one shot.
Attached Thumbnails lala-anne-sewing-handcrank-crop.jpg   church-trolley-loaded-mother-earth-b.jpg   mother-earth-news-family-sewists-b.jpg   rita-iris-jc-cwf-backs-b.jpg   earth-day-museum-chris-kid-b.jpg  

Old 07-09-2020, 07:09 AM

Most of my HCs are repros. Only one Singer HC that I use It is my profile shot. . In the picture with the Pennfyfarthing; The visitors were from Nigeria and England.Last pic shows another ( maybe past) QB member helping.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:10 AM

love the bike Leon. Hope it gets used often
Leisure cyclist here (up until 2016...century rides/bike-packing) and not so much now but yet i keep the bike with hope. A 20 yr old bike that i spent more monies on rebuilding/re-purposing than the cost of new bike but this brought more smiles. Hate throwing stuff out when it can be fixed.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:11 AM

I have to order a repro asap and try it out. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:29 AM

I have a bunch of old bikes, in addition to sewing machines. Same kind of concepts. I don't need electronic shifters or carbon parts that may break. I am a leisure rider/used to be commuter most of my bikes are at least 40 years old. That PF is a repro about 5 years old, 38"

The wheel poking out behind the man in the first post is a repro too. 48 " and about 50 years old.