Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 27 treadle machine - can I use my modern snap-on feet? >

Singer 27 treadle machine - can I use my modern snap-on feet?

Singer 27 treadle machine - can I use my modern snap-on feet?

Old 03-20-2021, 05:00 PM

Default Singer 27 treadle machine - can I use my modern snap-on feet?

I recently got a 1904 Singer 27 treadle machine with a puzzle box. In the process of cleaning the machine and cabinet, replacing the belt, learning to sew on it, etc. I didn't really look at what was in the puzzle box until today. Everything in there looks great from the top but when you remove them they are all corroded underneath. Made me sad when I discovered this because it means I shouldn't use them unless I want shredded fabric.

So, I was thinking I should get a low shank adaptor and just use the snap-on feet I use on my modern machines. I've found a few low-shank adaptors but I'm having a hard time deciphering whether any of them really would work on my machine or not.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated because I don't even know if this idea will work. TIA
Old 03-20-2021, 05:54 PM

It's certainly worth a try. We put a low shank adapter on a Singer Featherweight and it worked.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

If that doesn't work, there are usually loads of original feet on Ebay.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:17 PM

Yes, you can use standard low-shank feet on your 27. There are sets of low shank snap on adapters with many different feet on eBay that cost very little, and many of them will be useful with the straight stitch machine. Some will not, because they're intended for zigzag stitching.

Evaporust is like a little miracle for these old parts, though. You might want to give it a try for cleaning up your corroded-looking feet, then follow up with a metal polish and wipe with a little oil before you store them.

Editing to add search results: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...et%29&_sacat=0

Last edited by thepolyparrot; 03-20-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
Yes, you can use standard low-shank feet on your 27. There are sets of low shank snap on adapters with many different feet on eBay that cost very little, and many of them will be useful with the straight stitch machine. Some will not, because they're intended for zigzag stitching.

Evaporust is like a little miracle for these old parts, though. You might want to give it a try for cleaning up your corroded-looking feet, then follow up with a metal polish and wipe with a little oil before you store them.

Editing to add search results: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...et%29&_sacat=0
Evaporust - I will look for that right now. And thank you for the link.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:01 AM

The Evaporust worked wonderfully for the parts in the puzzle box. After using it on them I proceeded to take apart other metal parts of the Singer and Evaporusted (yes, that is now a verb) them as well.

And I found an adaptor that let's me use the snap-on feet from my other machines.

Yay!

Thank you so much for the help!!!
Old 04-03-2021, 05:27 AM

Just a reminder to "follow up with a metal polish and wipe with a little oil before you store them."

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by mcadwell View Post
The Evaporust worked wonderfully for the parts in the puzzle box. ...
And I found an adaptor that let's me use the snap-on feet from my other machines.

Yay! I'm so glad things are working out for you and your treadle. The snap-on feet aren't going to give you the rust trouble that the steel feet do, but that Evaporust is really awesome stuff. When I was refurbing more or less all the time, I had a jar of it that I reused over and over. One time, I apparently put something in there and promptly forgot about it.

It was years before I poured out the jar and there was just one little lump of metal in it with no indication whatsoever what it had originally been!

I think I used Simichrome on the feet and on the nickel-plating on the handwheels, needle plates, etc.

Have fun! Getting my hands dirty is one of my best therapies - gardening or tinkering, good for whatever ails me.