Singer 301 questions

Old 11-23-2014, 07:00 AM

Default Singer 301 questions

Hello everyone,
Finally done with my class and my final 30-page paper (!), I happily got back to sewing and tuned up my black Singer 301 yesterday (cleared a thread jam and everything!). I discovered two problems -- both minor. First of all, the very first thread guide is missing -- the one that's sort of L-shaped, where the thread moves through right after leaving the spool. I didn't sew much with it yesterday, and the machine did okay without it, but I'd like to replace it. Does anyone know what that part is called/numbered, and where I might find it? I couldn't find it on eBay. Should I just rig a paper clip into that shape for now?
Also, the extension bed (long) won't stay up. It just flops right back down no matter how much I tighten the screws. Any suggestions on that, or just live with it? I had to tape it out of the way while I worked on the thread jam. Don't worry -- the tape was only there for about 5 minutes and I used low-adhesive tape.
Thanks for any help you can offer! I do like the 301 (not as much as my poor beat-up little Featherweight, though).
Ila
Old 11-23-2014, 01:39 PM

I'm using mine this week and on the 2nd quilt top today.

for now a paper clip would work. to keep the extension up tilt the machine. I believe they where made so the extension falls in place , if you really don't like that , you " could" remove a screw rap thread around the screw at the screw head and put that back in. that may take a few try's to get it where you like it.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
I'm using mine this week and on the 2nd quilt top today.

for now a paper clip would work. to keep the extension up tilt the machine. I believe they where made so the extension falls in place , if you really don't like that , you " could" remove a screw rap thread around the screw at the screw head and put that back in. that may take a few try's to get it where you like it.
no, they aren't supposed to be floppy. I wonder if someone at some time removed it and forgot to put the washers back on the screws, or if the screws are switched? The screws are different sizes and need to be in the right holes.

Cari
Old 11-23-2014, 03:59 PM

cari's right. I just checked mine the screws were loose, tightening didn't work, the screw pivots with the extension . there is two washers on the large screw. I just cleaned and oil those, in about ten try's it just fall down , the screw is loose again.

Then tried the thread wrapping trick , but on the screw threads, That didn't work, close but no banana

welp back to tilting. dang tiny bobbins
Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 AM

April1930s.com or Nova Montgomery most likely will have the parts you need for both problems. The 301’s use many of the same parts as the FW's.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:34 AM

I have ordered parts for my 301s from Glen Williams. He will know the part number. Here is his website: http://pages.suddenlink.net/joyof301s/index.htm
Click on the Fixing up your 301 and send him an email. His site also has lots of good information on the 301s.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:22 PM

Glenn Williams has the part! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check to see if there are any washers on the extension bed.

Last edited by iadhikari; 11-24-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:39 AM

oil on the extension bed ??????? I do not think so.................sew everyday on my 301A since June of 1957 and never ever used oil on the extension bed screws..... it stays in whatever position I choose.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:24 AM

problem solved on this machine.

I've seen this question ask in the past, but never a solution. This machine was a unused one and Mocha. When I removed the large screw I could see something black, but did remove the extension / bed Today the bed came off, I found that the black is paint. The machine was painted black then painted mocha. my guess is the black machine don't have this problem.

you see the type of screw , where the threaded portion is much smaller than the shaft. in order for this to work that screw must bottom out at the step/shaft , then the concave washer and the flat washer work as a spring ..

with two thicknesses of paint on the extension casting . the screw wasn't able to bottom out ( tighten) against the machine body and would pivot each time the extension was raised and lowered. loosen the screw each time = floppy extension

I removed the paint, which then allowed the step on the screw to stick out just a little, and to hold tight. yet working the extension felt a bit stiff. I used a fine flat file and removed a little of the aluminum. this showed an indent at the screw hole. I took the aluminum down , so that the indent was gone .

out come is it now works perfectly. by all means oil the screw pivots