Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Singer 301a - Does any one have this machine?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I have a 301A and love it. I just bought a 1/4 in foot from April's 1930 shop on Ebay. It was $19.95 and had free shipping. It only took a few days for me to get it. I can't wait to try it after hubby goes to work tonight.

Thanks SherriB for the heads up. I recently bought a magnetic stictch guide for my wonderful 301a and it has helped my 1/4" seam trememdously -- will check out the 1/4" foot.

Just love my little 301a, she has a short bed, and just hums away contendedly. I really think she likes guild meetings and UFO days as much as I do. Just recently discovered the feed dogs can be lowered for FMQ. I may dabble in this a little later, but for now I am strictly a handquilter (if it was good enough for my dear grandmother, it is good enough for me).

You definitely cannot go wrong with a 301a. I bought a second one for backup and I even have a 221, but like the added weight of the 301a.

I own the 301A machine & love it. My quilt teacher bought it new in 1954.She learned to quilt on it & taught me on this machine.When she could no longer see how to quilt,she gave the machine to me.Her daughter has no interest in sewing.This machine is the one I quilt on. Still haven't tried all the feet that came with it. Enjoy your new machine as much as I enjoy Ms.Dee.

Blog Entries
    I have a featherweight (1950), a Red Eye (1914 motor) and a WHITE, which was made in Japan at the end of the war by, I understand, Singer.
    This third one is heavy duty and I can also drop the feed dogs on it for silk, embroidery and of course the normal setting.
    These are the only machines I sew on.

Congrats on your "new" machine. You will be very happy with it. I have both a FW 221 in black & a 301 in tan; got both @ a great price from a friend who has a houseful of vintage machines. I am very sentimental about remembering my grandma & great aunt sew on the black singers. Yet after using my 2 vintage machines, I don't think of the tan ones as such "an ugly duckling" anymore; the lighter surface is easier on the eyes to see what you're doing. I love them both, 221 for piecing & classes, the 301 for FMQ (feed dogs drop). I have about 6 other machines, newest being a mid-priced Viking, but I find I like the feel & sound of the vintage Singers best. If I need a fancy stitch I use the Viking.
    I also bought some 221 & 301 parts from "April's 1930 shop" on Ebay & would highly recommend her in confidence based on several experiences there. Others may be a little less, but you won't need to question the accuracy of condition, & specifics, as you may for the odd-lot seller.

BTW, my great-aunt is still living & stopped working at age 96 (seamstress for 70+ years), still sharp as a tack at 98! She made all of the families clothes on an old black Singer 201 (the greatest full-size singer made), as well as sewing men's suits & wedding gowns (career). Favorite aunt:)

I have a black long-bed 301 and a tan short-bed and both of them are terrific machines. It's hard for me to decide what to sew on sometimes. I love the convenience and bells and whistles of my newer Janomes, but the Singers are dependable, just as accurate and sew through anything. I enjoy them all!

Congrats, I bought one last fall and just love it.

Blog Entries
    I bought one on E-Bay last week...it was delivered Friday and has already been put to use. I just love it!!! Mine is a mocha short bed ; it came with attachments, 6 extra bobbins and the manual. There's not a scratch on it!! I only paid $76 for it so consider myself very lucky. The seller told me that she was really disappointed that it went so low...only 2 bids on it...but I assured her it had gone to a good home. Now I want to get the walking foot for it and a 1/4 foot...then I'll be a happy camper.

Blog Entries
    hi. i have a 301A my mother bought it for me in 1959. It came with a card table type table and sets down in it. It just sews forward and backword, i would hate to guess how many quilts i have peiced on it over the years. and no problem with it. I have a babylock esante and go back to the little work horse for piecing. i love it.

i just bid on one on ebay and it's up to 73.00 so im leaving it alone now as it has no cover, book and was taken out of a beautiful cabinet of which seller is selling seperatly from machine...sigh! I hear it is just a few lbs heavier than fw and a little stronger too.
    FLASH NEWS....it went up from my 71 to 153.00 in 2 minutes!
    Whoa!!

For all of you FW and 301 owners - don't be afraid to use it for heavy fabrics. They are work horses! I have used my FW to make many snowmobile seat covers. It sews that vinyl as nice as my good Janome. They can sew about anything. I have also put zippers in leather jackets with it.
    Enjoy your new machine!

I have one!! Actually, I haven't used it a whole lot, but what I've done with it, it's worked just great. I'm glad I didn't wait for a Featherweight. This was much cheaper.

Moz
    This is my second favorite machine. With the Singer Dressmaker 201 being my first. 3rd is the 221 of course, but the 301 is just a dream machine. I have mine in a cabinet as well, but nice thing is that they have that cute little trapezoid shaped case and the handle on top.

Moz
    Have you all checked with any old sewing machine shops? I always suggest to people looking to buy a new machine that you can get a better deal that $400 for a new modern machine by asking for an old Singer 301 first :)

Congratulations on your recent 301 purchase. :thumbup: I'm a recent owner of one, too. I've had mine for a whole 8 days now, and am SO happy I found one. I'd heard so many wonderful things from others about this machine, I just had to have one for myself.

Unfortunately, my tan short bed came bone dry, so I'm in the process of restoring some life to her with oil and grease. There are about 4 different places you need to use either Singer Motor Lubricant or Tri Flow Grease instead of sewing machine oil once in a while (at least once a year, I've read). Two places are underneath the top plate on those two spiral gears, the other two are underneath the bottom of the machine; another gear and the motor pot, a little silver tube on the right side of your machine. A manual will point all these places out to you. You'll need a little syringe pump to get the grease in the motor pot.

I too, have heard great things about these 301's for our quilting needs. I just purchased a 1/4" foot and a walking foot for "Polly", and look forward to getting to use them on her.

Happy stitchin',

Edited to add:

Oops, I see you haven't purchased it yet, still considering. Sorry for the miscue.

If the price is right, grab this machine! I had one years ago, and didn't know what I had. A fast-talking salesmen talked me into trading it in on a new model. Well, I would kill to have that old 301a back! In case no one else on here has mentioned it yet, these were legendary for their ease of use and always-perfect stitches. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get another one if the opportunity came up.

If the price is right, grab this machine! I had one years ago, and didn't know what I had. A fast-talking salesmen talked me into trading it in on a new model. Well, I would kill to have that old 301a back! In case no one else on here has mentioned it yet, these were legendary for their ease of use and always-perfect stitches. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get another one if the opportunity came up.

I must have got a great deal at an auction with my DH last week then,,,,I got a 301a slant needle for $25.00 in a great cabinet that opens about 2 foot or so from the back...

I just got the 301a at the auction asI said before, but my prise machine is my Dear Mothers that she got new a 401A singer, it is a work horse.....and out of her 5 daughters I was the lucky one that she gave it to ...smile smile

I just got the 301a at the auction asI said before, but my prise machine is my Dear Mothers that she got new a 401A singer, it is a work horse.....and out of her 5 daughters I was the lucky one that she gave it to ...smile smile

I bought one of these a few years back on Ebay, and I LOVE it, use it for my church quilting machine, it goes through anything with no problem, I like that there is no computer, no belts, just oil and lube it and it's ready to go! When I needed extra feet for it I just typed in Singer 301A and the part I wanted and a website would come up...It is a wonderful machine. I also have an Elna, Pfaff, a Singer touch-n-sew, and a treadle Singer of my great Aunts.

That is not a bad price, they have gone up in value since I bought mine...and it is great!

For those who want to maintain their own machine, a great help is to get the DVD "Those fantastic Featherweights" with David McCallum. Even though it is intended as everything you need to know to clean, maintain & restore a Singer 221 FW machine, you will really understand any of your old Singers. He also covers how to restore the old cases which may have developed a musty smell or replacing broken handles & latches; this DVD is 3 hours looooong & very thorough. He does talk about the 301 as well. You will find the locations for oil & grease (gears) shown in detail, and are common amongst most early Singers. Happy sewing on the oldies but goodies.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I have my mother's 301A and I just love her! Wouldn't trade that machine for any new computerized one.

I do have a newer machine also. That one is 42 years old. Those are the only two machines I have Love them both!

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by barbo117
    Thanks Scrap Happy and deedum. The machine is currently on ebay as a buy it now for $200 and $40 shipping. The pictures that are posted look very nice and I have asked the seller several questions. Yes it does come with a lot of accessories and the book and it is in a case that looks great. I did a lot of reading about this machine last night on the internet. It is quite impressive and I love the fact that it is heavy duty. I can remember my mother had a 301 in the tan color when I was just a kid. She was a seamstress and made her living sewing. She put many a mile on that machine. She simply loved her Singers and would have nothing else. I have asked the seller one more question and am waiting for an answer from him now, then will make my decision. I will keep you informed. Thanks, Barbo
    That is way too much, in my opinion. I got a very nice and clean one with all the attachments and in an Art Deco cabinet from a not very cheap antique store in town for $85. I love mine, but you really can find one for much, much less.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast