Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Singer 301A/Works for $100...is that a good deal?

  1. #1
    Super Member New Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In the boonies of So. Jersey
    Posts
    1,356

    Singer 301A/Works for $100...is that a good deal?

    Hi...I had the chance and I bought a Singer 301A that they said works, has the bobbin case/bobbin, belt is good, for $100(shipping included)...is that a good deal? I will need to buy some extra feet.... I already have 2 Featherweights and I wanted a "big sister" for them...
    "Tomorrow is another day" Scarlett O'Hara...

  2. #2
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    If it's as described, yes. The 301's have been going up in price lately.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  3. #3
    Junior Member Brynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    203
    I would have jumped on that like no one's business!

  4. #4
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    3,972
    Sounds like a good deal to me.
    Sweet Caroline

  5. #5
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Belt? There's no belt on a 301. It's a potted motor. It's a good price, though. I paid slightly more than $120 for mine after replacing all the worn out rubber and a new foot controller and power cord. That included shipping. But I love mine, and you will love sewing on a 301. They are just plain awesome!!!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    108
    I don't think you will regret the purchase! Sewing on the 301A is like gliding.

  7. #7
    Super Member valleyquiltermo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    MO.
    Posts
    2,685
    I hope it is a 301 but they don't have a belt. But if it is a 301 you will love it I love mine.

    Opps I see jljack already said that.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

  8. #8
    Senior Member littlesurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Posts
    553
    That's a good price.
    Lynn

  9. #9
    Super Member Daylesewblessed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    1,785
    Let us know how it turns out once you get. It sounds like a good price!

  10. #10
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    If it's a 301, that's a good price this year. Post a picture as soon as you can. We love pictures.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Orange Park,Fl
    Posts
    1,037
    pass GO!!!!!!!! buy you will enjoy this one. Great price.

  12. #12
    Super Member New Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In the boonies of So. Jersey
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Belt? There's no belt on a 301. It's a potted motor. It's a good price, though. I paid slightly more than $120 for mine after replacing all the worn out rubber and a new foot controller and power cord. That included shipping. But I love mine, and you will love sewing on a 301. They are just plain awesome!!!
    You are right...I asked if there was a belt as I didn't see one in the pic...I was told all of the basic parts are there...just no extra feet...then I realized there wasn't suppose to be one...I can't wait to get her...
    "Tomorrow is another day" Scarlett O'Hara...

  13. #13
    Super Member SunlitenSmiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,402
    Blog Entries
    2
    wooo, woooooo....sew happy for you! I love my 301A and my Daughter loves Her 301..............that was a great price especially if it has the carry case (it is so well designed and not the least bit square!) be sure to post photos !

  14. #14
    Super Member Glenda m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,132
    Would love to see her. Please post pics when you can.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Home Valley, Washington
    Posts
    25
    Singer 301 were Slant Needle, so you can find lots of feet for it. Good find I love mine!

  16. #16
    Super Member BarbaraSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    near Peoria Illinois
    Posts
    1,638
    Blog Entries
    2
    I agree that there is no belt on a 301. But you will love your machine. These are workhorses. Doing the happy dance for you?
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

  17. #17
    Super Member kitsykeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Salisbury, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by New Quilter View Post
    Hi...I had the chance and I bought a Singer 301A that they said works, has the bobbin case/bobbin, belt is good, for $100(shipping included)...is that a good deal? I will need to buy some extra feet.... I already have 2 Featherweights and I wanted a "big sister" for them...
    I recently purchased a 301A at Goodwill for $30.00. My father was visiting from Florida and he paid for it. My husband says I don't need any more machines, but you know how that is. We love our machines. Anyway, it is in a very nice case, blond wood, and works like a dream. It is so quiet and a joy to sew on. And it takes the feet from my other singer machines. How good is that? I thought I would have to spend lots of money on those feet but now I don't. One thing I don't know much about is the cams. There were no extra ones with it and when I learn more about them I may go online to buy some.
    Kitsy

  18. #18
    Super Member Glenda m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsykeel View Post
    I recently purchased a 301A at Goodwill for $30.00. My father was visiting from Florida and he paid for it. My husband says I don't need any more machines, but you know how that is. We love our machines. Anyway, it is in a very nice case, blond wood, and works like a dream. It is so quiet and a joy to sew on. And it takes the feet from my other singer machines. How good is that? I thought I would have to spend lots of money on those feet but now I don't. One thing I don't know much about is the cams. There were no extra ones with it and when I learn more about them I may go online to buy some.
    Cams? Just wondering.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

  19. #19
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    The 301 doesn't take cams, it's a straight stitch only.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  20. #20
    Super Member SunlitenSmiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,402
    Blog Entries
    2
    the zig zag attachment has cams...wonder if that is what you were thinking......i have the zig zag attachment for my 301A but usually use the BERNIA 1630 for everything but straight stitch

  21. #21
    Super Member kitsykeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Salisbury, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    The 301 doesn't take cams, it's a straight stitch only.
    I'll go back and look at the machine, make sure it is a 301A and read the manual again. I know it has many decorative stitches. I'll send pictures of the machine also. I have it covered with a tablecloth from Christmas with a bunch of stuff on top but will definitely look at it tomorrow.
    Kitsy

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    76
    I just bought a 301A for $125 and it has only the Zig Zag attachment. I was watching them for weeks online and I think you got a good price!!!

  23. #23
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,136
    I got a black 301 from Craig's List for free last Summer. Its a beautiful machine, still can't believe it.

  24. #24
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    I got a black 301 from Craig's List for free last Summer. Its a beautiful machine, still can't believe it.
    Nice deal! Isn't fun to find those free deals off CLs.

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    middle TN
    Posts
    1,105
    I would buy it - but wait, I already have 2 of them!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.