Singer 31-15 servo motor

Old 06-06-2016, 10:43 AM

Default Singer 31-15 servo motor

Hello all,

I'm fixing up a Singer 31-15 (1917)to quilt on. The machine has no treadle wheel because it was electrified a while ago. The motor is missing and I want to replace it with a variable speed servo. I would like to have needle positioning but I don't know if the needle synchronization adapters will work with a vintage, non-metric machine such as the my Singer 31. Does anyone here have any experience or recommendations with this?

Thanks,
DR
Old 06-07-2016, 02:15 AM
Power Poster

No experience here. You may have to find someone who is a dealer.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:36 AM

DR,
Just looked at one of my 31-15s and it has an extended part that the needle positioner would attach too back by the handwheel. I would take a measurement of the end of the handwheel and then double check with the company that it would fit. My two machines did not have that extended piece with the handwheel leaving room for it to attach to easily or at all as some can not have the needle positioner to my knowledge like the 107 Singer I had but the Servo motor was still worth it without the positioner for me. Mine had indentation so I needed a piece that would fit into the handwheel end and into the needle positioner. My cousin used a piece of steel and put them on a lathe to fit both openings. Check your machine but from the one I looked at here I believe you would be able to just slip it over and attach. Ask for both the diameter and depth. I would use calipers if you have them otherwise they are cheap from Harbor Freight and you would use them for other things to.

Hope this helps with your decision or at least makes it a little easier. It is worth the time as I really like mine but lucked out because my cousin is so handy, and that's putting it mildly. He has helped me with lots of stuff and also the reason I have continued with getting the other industrials and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I have Singer 111W155 walking foot with positioner, Necchi straight zig zag 720 100 with needle positioner, Rimaldi Serger 327 with just a servo motor no needle positioner, Singer 176-22 fur machine no Servo yet, Singer 29-4 and a Singer 246 from my Uncle Arnie that started the whole thing!!! I must admit the 246-13 is the best machine but I wanted 4 thread and if I find a turtle style Singer four thread cheap I will exchange the Rimaldi in a heartbeat as parts are so much easier plus it is a machine that so far has never failed or given me much trouble.

Good Luck,
Lisa
Old 06-12-2016, 12:03 PM

DR,
Could not get the pictures downloaded on PM so hopefully you will see the pictures here. They are large but I hope that helps you. The adapter my cousin Carl used was just a cylinder that sizes matched to what was needed for the sewing machine and for the positioner to stay steady. I also took pictures of the 31-15 I have that should show what I was talking about on the handwheel part. The shaft sticks out so the positioned should fit over it and then be tightened down with the screw from the positioner part. Let me know if I can help in any other way. Pictures 1-4 are the 111W Singer, 5 is the Necchi and you can see how close that one is. Picture 6 & 7 is of the 31-15 shaft that would be attached to the positioner but you would need to measure to be sure it would slip into the part for the positioner. The cylinder made for the 111W measures .883" and the shaft on the 31-15 measures 1.126" so would be too big for the needle positioner. Maybe the people that sell these would make adapters, I am not sure. I would still measure you 31-15 shaft if it is exposed. Pictures 8 & 4 are of a bracket I made to hold the positioner steady. Picture 9 is the Necchi again. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with or show you. I also forgot to tell you the 3rd Servo I have on the Rimaldi serger is a Sew Quiet 5000 and is a better quality then the Goldstar also. I would buy another of either the Consew or the Sew Quiet but would not of the Goldstar if the price difference wasn't being considered as none have given me any problems once I had them attached.
Lisa
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552072[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552073[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552074[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552075[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552077[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 31-15-handwheel-3.jpg   31-15-handwheel-2.jpg   111w-needle-positioner-1.jpg   111w-needle-positioner-2.jpg   111w-needle-positioner-3.jpg  

111w-needle-positioner-4.jpg   necchi-needle-positioner-bracket-made-hold-straight.jpg   necchi-needle-positioner.jpg   necchi-needle-positioner-2-.jpg