Singer 328 seemed to lock up

Old 08-26-2015, 01:05 PM

Unhappy Singer 328 seemed to lock up

I finished a quilt then cleaned/oiled my 50 year old Singer 328. I removed a LOT of fuzz and lint. It was working fine and now it appears to be locked up, for the lack of a better term. I've had the bobbin case in and out several times. I'm sure its in properly, with the fingers in the right place and the lock in place. Needle goes up and down somewhat, then locks. Fly wheel won't turn freely. It must be something I've not replaced correctly. Any suggestions ?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

I messed with a 15 clone today. That darn thing ran like the wind for about a half a second after I put a motor on it. Then it locked up. I could hear a clack in the bobbin area so I pulled it out. Then I oiled it everywhere again. Then I ran the machine... ran freely.... I replaced the bobbin works and it bound up again. Then I swapped the shuttle etc out of another machine and it ran a quieter. I didn't really have time to explore more. What I wonder about your machine is how it runs with out the bobbin case in it/out. Check with your service manual to be sure it is in right. Some times people 'adjust' things in that area and really mess them up. If the bobbin carrier isn't around that little hook just so it will bind up.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:34 PM

From my experience, you may, remove things that could lock your machine from the easier ones to the more difficult. Here is my "method " :
- First at all try to put some kerosene instead of oil and try to run your machine, if it solve the problem oil it.
- Remove shuttle and needle
- Verify if the lock symptom is always present with different stitch lengths
- Remove needle plate and verify if there is nothing in the feed dogs
- Verify that there is nothing wrong in the movement under the bed
- Remove the face plate and verify that there is no gummy old oil on the needle bar
- Open the two inspection plates and verify that these areas are clean. Look also if there is no loose screws.
Some parts are easy to remove like the take up lever, and you don't risk anything with timing.
And oil, oil, oil ...

There was my two cents, I hope it could help you.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:20 AM
Power Poster

Nice organized answer, Mikato. Exactly the next things to look at.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:22 AM

DH and I repaired it!! Saved the day - to say nothing of a repair bill. We took off the underside cover and after some detective work, we found a small piece of lint in the gear on left side. We scrubbed with a cleaning brush and it didn't help but he removed it with a pin and my machine ("Marge", named for Aunt Marge who bought it new) is purring along now!!! Thanks to all for your assistance!
Old 08-29-2015, 04:49 PM

I'm glad your machine is working again! I don't know what we do without a working sewing machine. I've got a 328K, purchased new in 1963, and I take very good care of it!

Jeanette