Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 34 of 34

Thread: Singer 401A - Good for quilting?

  1. #26
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlR View Post
    Joe,

    I can't thank you enough for the time and detail you have furnished in response to my question. You have have certainly helped me tremendously with the pictures and advice you have furnished. I am so grateful. Thanks again!!!
    I have to say thank you, Joe, also!! This must be the week for buying 401's! I found a 401g (made in Germany) on Craigslist and went to buy it yesterday. The person selling it had printed out the manual for me (wow...tons of pages!!) but I'm glad to see all of the pics and information that you have supplied above.

    My machine has lots of old grease on the gears, which I would like to clean off. Is there anything that might cut through it without actually giving it a bath in kerosene? The 401g comes with a little detachable extension that I've never seen before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~~Cathy~~

  2. #27
    Senior Member ShirlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Posts
    637
    It's sure nice to know that all Goodwills are not selling them at auction. Congratulations on your new addition!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
    My son picked up a Singer Featherweight a few months ago at Goodwill locally (Ocala, Florida) for $50. It was absolutely an unbelievable buy! It needs a belt, a good cleaning and oiling before I use it, but my son was a sewing machine mechanic for 14 years, so I don't have to go to the shop with it! The machine is in excellent condition otherwise, but I'm really lucky that he found it!

    Jeanette Frantz
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

  3. #28
    Senior Member ShirlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Posts
    637
    Oh, what a beauty! It looks brand new! Congratulations! (Isn't Joe a nice guy to not only post the pictures, but indicate in red the key points on them to oil, etc.! Wow!)

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    I have to say thank you, Joe, also!! This must be the week for buying 401's! I found a 401g (made in Germany) on Craigslist and went to buy it yesterday. The person selling it had printed out the manual for me (wow...tons of pages!!) but I'm glad to see all of the pics and information that you have supplied above.

    My machine has lots of old grease on the gears, which I would like to clean off. Is there anything that might cut through it without actually giving it a bath in kerosene? The 401g comes with a little detachable extension that I've never seen before.
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

  4. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    I also have a Singer 401, as my one and only machine. It is great for sewing and piecing, but I have tried quilting, and the bobbing thread seems to tighten to the point that the fabric won't move anymore, until the bobbin thread snaps. Any advice? I've tried almost every combination of thread tensions, and I don't THINK it was the feed dog plate catching....

    Maybe one of those universal screw-on cover-plates would work better than the built-in raised plate?

  5. #30
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoPixie View Post
    I also have a Singer 401, as my one and only machine. It is great for sewing and piecing, but I have tried quilting, and the bobbing thread seems to tighten to the point that the fabric won't move anymore, until the bobbin thread snaps. Any advice? I've tried almost every combination of thread tensions, and I don't THINK it was the feed dog plate catching....

    Maybe one of those universal screw-on cover-plates would work better than the built-in raised plate?

    Are you talking about regular quilting or free motion quilting? You need the correct foot for both or the thread can catch and break.

  6. #31
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    You really only have about 5 cams or so to buy that aren't inside the machine if you'd want, as the cams are all built in on the 401.

    Any machine that does a zig zag stitch won't make a 'true' stitch like a straight stitch only machine like a Featherweight etc. But, you'd have to likely look with a magnifying glass to have it bother you. LOL. Straight stitch machines are the truest straight stitch because there is no wiggle room in the needle bar. The machines are typically poured castings and the needle bar offers no side to side movement. I quilt with my 401 all the time (straight stitching). And I piece with it. I don't like it for free motion quilting because of the raised feed dog plate that catches on the quilt sandwich and the tension issues due to the horizontal bobbin case. I have quite a few straight stitch only machines and I do use the 401 quite a bit.
    Candace,
    Which 5 cams are you referring to?


    Joe

  7. #32
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Candace,
    Which 5 cams are you referring to?


    Joe
    There are a few cams that are available that aren't built into the 401. Not many, but there are a some. Go here and see http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w...atterns401.jpg There are 5 external fashion discs that originally came with it( I think I have all of those) and then some extra fashion discs lower down (4) and some special discs for twin needle work. I don't have any of these discs. So, I guess the total # actually comes out to 9 other regular cams and 12 for twin needle work.

  8. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    Free motion quilting; I've got the embroidery foot, made of clear plastic and the hoop at the bottom...

  9. #34
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoPixie View Post
    Free motion quilting; I've got the embroidery foot, made of clear plastic and the hoop at the bottom...
    You shouldn't need a hoop for FMQ. I've never needed one. It's not necessary unless you are doing intense thread painting. Try it without a hoop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.