Singer 413 a few problems.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM

Default Singer 413 a few problems.

Gifted from a friend, but after spending hours on it today, am wondering if that friend was REALLY a friend (Joke). I cleaned it, and oiled it, bottom and top. The feed dogs don't feed fabric thru. The Stitch regulator must be broken or something because the stitching is really tiny. I took the face plate off, but really can't see INSIDE, just that the round regulator moves easily. Needle goes up and down easily. Motor is a little noisy., but not too bad.

I don't know what to look for really, have done everything I could think of. Do you think this machine is just toasted? I have the manual that came with it. Would like to find a repair manual.

The top of the sewing machine looks like the photo you posted some months ago. I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM

The stitch regulator is likely fine. The small stitching would be from the feed dogs not performing correctly. YOu need to take off the feed dog cover plate and look at the mechanisms to see what the problem is. Are you sure the feed dogs are in the 'up' position?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 PM

Do you have the pressure foot screwed down enough? Not much, but some.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 PM

I have two of those those machines. I would start with a thorough cleaning of the entire machine. Remove the needle plate and bobbin cover and the bobbin case. Remove the face plate, the top, and remove the machine from the case and take the bottom plate off. Clean and oil everything you see. There is a lot of moving points to be oiled.
I would suspect that the insides of the machine are dirty and dry. The stitch regulating mechanism is complex with a lot of moving pieces and it needs to be checked and cleaned too. You can do that by removing the plate at the hand wheel end and looking inside.

The 413 has one plastic gear at the top of the vertical shaft that is prone to wear and breakage. That gear drives the bobbin hook.
The feed dogs are driven by a rod affair similar to most other machines. It doesn't have a feed dog drop feature. So make sure the machine is clean and everything that moves is lubed. Tri-Flow works wonders for cranky machines.

The 413 is a noisy machine, that entire genre of Singers seem to be overly noisy.
However if the motor is overly noisy you can check that it's mounting screws are tight and that the belt is not too loose. A loose belt seems to make a lot of noise on one of those. But a too tight belt will impede performance and slow down the machine. You have to find that happy medium.

Joe
Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM

Feed dogs are risen above plate, but not much. I did tighten the foot. Will work on it some more tho. Thanks to everyone.