Singer 500 Rocketeer Rescue

Old 07-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I've done most of them by pulling the motor and dropping oil there - then when I put it back together I run the machine a bit. Everybody is going to have their own way of doing it - that is what has worked best for me.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:50 AM

I finally got that clutch wheel loose and cleaned everthing in there well too. Everything was moving last night and I did remember to grease that fiber gear..so today I will try the motor oil. Miriam, I put a drop in that hole under the bobbin case, but will add another today. I am sure it is extra dry.

I have never had a machine with thread in so many places! There were scraps of threads under the machine, wrapped in the camstack, wrapped around the handwheel, 1 was wrapped through the fiber gear and of course the bobbin area was solid lint and oil almost to the consistency of cardboard. I will double check for extra threads again today too.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Some times oil dries up in the hand wheel inside area - good idea to clean that out real good.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:39 AM

Hmmm the plot thickens..Today I plug it in and nada. Jiggle the cord at the connection and we have something...so either the cord or the connections are loose. I'm getting ready to drop the motor and see what we have here.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:56 PM

*** She turned out really nice.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:20 PM

As I am taking apart the motor to check the wiring and the brushes a little spring type clip fell out. Any ideas on how and where this goes?
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0216-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 07-12-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
As I am taking apart the motor to check the wiring and the brushes a little spring type clip fell out. Any ideas on how and where this goes?
you might want to WATCH THIS VIDEO of singer 401 motor tuneup. i am assuming that 401 and 500 have the same motor.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Same basic motor, different shaft. I have no idea where the little clips go.

Joe
Old 07-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

UM I do but you best watch the video.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:35 PM

Christy,

Yes, to what Joe said. Only a few drops.You don't want to put so much oil in there that it flows down onto the inner working of the motor.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Christy,

I was told to put 1 to 3 drops of 30wt motor oil, not a whole squirt, at the base of the motor drive shaft. (It's the shaft that drives the bobbin winder tire.) That is where the top bearing is. As you run the motor it will get warm. The oil will seep into the bearing, combine with and soften the grease in it. The trick is you have to run the motor to get this to happen.

You can pull the motor if you want, but to put a drop or so of oil on it you don't need to. Just follow the drive gear down to the top of the motor and put it there.

You might need new brushes along with a good cleaning of the commutator on that motor. And make sure the big fiber gear is greased. Not oiled, it takes grease.

Also make sure the main shaft and everything the main shaft moves, IE the cam stack and needle bar parts are clean and free to move. If not they will bog down the machine.

Joe