Singer 99K Tension Dial

Old 01-16-2020, 01:41 PM

Thank You everyone for answering my question. This machine was given to me and obviously I did not really know what I was getting. The machine sews nicely and it will be a good "backup" for my Pfaff Performance and Featherweight!

I have a dependable family of machines.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:09 PM

Odd as it may seem, I tend to prefer the un-numbered tension dials: on both my Featherweight and my new-to-me 401G, I have to use a dreadfully low or high tension number to achieve a perfect stitch despite all my attemps to tune it with videos for help (in my Featherweight original manual, the previous owner made a note "normal sewing = tension number 7" I know it's not really important but it tends to irk me so having an old style un-numbered tension unit gives me more freedom imho. Anyway, since it's always best to make a sample before tackling on your project, having a dial numbered tension unit or having a plain one makes little difference
Old 01-21-2020, 01:53 PM

Seb58 - Thank You for your input. As silly as this may sound, now that I know the machine is not missing anything, I am OK with have the un-numbered tension dial. I was thinking that it would be a good way to visual monitor what the tension is set to - but then, as you clearly state, this is a parameter that should always be check when tacking a project!
Old 01-21-2020, 02:47 PM

I actually prefer leaf tensions on the older beasties.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:57 AM

I was given a box of parts last weekend that turned out to be a 1934 Singer 99 (needs assembly). My tension looks exactly like your's. I'm still working on lots of oiling and cleaning and reassembly. Hope to get it working this winter.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:22 AM

When I was doing demos last week with 4 of my 99s, one acted up. I was doing tension adjustments from the back of the machine. Numbers? "We don't need no stinikn numbers." But I am a bit more experienced with 99s than many. If you don't count length of seams.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:20 AM

Update - I've done some research and testing on my with my 99K. This machine is a piece of ingenuity! This forum (QB in general) has been a wealth of knowledge. I received this 99K over 5 years ago and quickly put it off to the side thinking I had been given junk. I saw what I thought was a missing/broken tension dial with extremely poor stitching quality (the old naive me) . I was lucky enough to get a featherweight 221 a few years ago that I use as a backup to my Pfaff Performance (which I LOVE - I've always been a Pfaff person). Having a featherweight has been a terrific learning experience for me. I've watched endless numbers of videos on YouTube and various sites. Once I got my featherweight in a good running state, I decided to tackle the 99K. I've learned that the tension dial is exactly as it should be and that my issue was really with the tension screw on the bobbin case itself. I am ecstatic to let everyone know that last night I had the 99K making an almost perfect stitch by adjusting and manipulating the tension screw on the bobbin case. I also realized what a powerful machine I have in that 99K! In haste over the weekend, I bought a tension dial for the 66/99 singer - which I can now keep as a spare (if anyone needs a tension dial - let me know). Thanks to all in this forum - your input and comments have been a great help!

Last edited by dudenaz; 02-05-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:32 AM

Way to go Dedenaz. Isn't it fun to get a once dead machine alive again. Very surprised it was the bobbin tension. That rarely needs adjustment.

Mavis, I love your box of parts description.. I almost bought a 55 Morgan ( car) that way once, but there were legal issues in the way. Glad our toys don't have titles.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:07 AM

Yeah - I am not sure how that screw got so out of whack....but then the machine had not been used in a number of years and move around a bit.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:47 AM

Sometimes you get clear indications of why the machine was put away. Bobbins with thread jams, wrong needls, tec. may have been somebody tinkered with that screw who shouldn't have.