Singer cabinet & FW

Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Default Singer cabinet & FW

Hello, I have a singer 40 cabinet, and a newer one they call a copenhagen model. Pics are below. Would either cabinet be easily modified to hold a FW? Has anyone done this? Wondering. Thanks for sharing. [ATTACH=CONFIG]381627[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]381628[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-40-cabinet.jpg   copenhengen.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 02:25 PM

Not easily, no.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 AM

It depends on how handy you are. You might be able to put a couple of straps under where the holes are like on the Featherweight tables and make an insert to fill the gap. Take a look at the Featherweight tables on line and you might get some ideas for this. Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 AM

It depends on how handy you are. You might be able to put a couple of straps under where the holes are like on the Featherweight tables and make an insert to fill the gap. Take a look at the Featherweight tables on line and you might get some ideas for this. Hope this helps.

What model is in the light colored cabinet?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 AM

What model is in the light colored cabinet?
I rarely go places...so I wanted the FW machine to sit flush in a cabinet...I think I will try to rig something up. I am not sure what model the cabinet is? The pic is just off the internet. Mine is slightly different, I bought it for $5 and it literally is sitting in my closet but I think it is a singer?, it has the metal pins, removable sewing box and thread holder in the drawers. When I did a search a little while ago the style was called a 'copenhagen'. Maybe it is for another brand? Handy little thing. Here is a pic of mine - I don't have the bench.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]381797[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cabinet.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 AM

If you want flush, then look for a FW card table.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM

It would be difficult to modify this cabinet to fit a Featherweight. If you or hubby are VERY handy, it could be done with a lot of work. The Featherweight woud not fit the current opening, and because it would not mount with the current hinges, it would need a lower shelf installed at the level to allow it to sit flush. You could always cut the opening wider and use a Dreamworld insert to make the flush surface to fit the machine. The model in your cabinet looks to be a Singer 15 (tension at the end) and if it was cleaned and oiled would make a great quilter itself. Probably a 50s machine and cabinet. $5.00 was a score!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
It would be difficult to modify this cabinet to fit a Featherweight. If you or hubby are VERY handy, it could be done with a lot of work. The Featherweight woud not fit the current opening, and because it would not mount with the current hinges, it would need a lower shelf installed at the level to allow it to sit flush. You could always cut the opening wider and use a Dreamworld insert to make the flush surface to fit the machine. The model in your cabinet looks to be a Singer 15 (tension at the end) and if it was cleaned and oiled would make a great quilter itself. Probably a 50s machine and cabinet. $5.00 was a score!
A FW card table would be WAY out of my price range. But I just looked up Dreamworld custom extension tables and I might be able to swing it Thanks.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by vanginney View Post
A FW card table would be WAY out of my price range. But I just looked up Dreamworld custom extension tables and I might be able to swing it Thanks.

It doesn't have to be out of your price range. I picked one up at an antique mall last month for $100. That's not much different than a sew steady table. Before that, I watched one in the local buy and sell that was the same price, both were in pretty good shape. I gave mine a good wax, and had hubby "twist up" a new leg spring for it, and that's all that was wrong with it. I just spent a couple of evenings making covers for it (one with a FW opening, and one without), because it does double duty in the living room as a work table.

There was also one in the same antique mall for $180.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by vanginney View Post

I got mine for $50 on CL. If you're patient, they're out there for a reasonable amount.