Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Featherweight - Cleaning the gold decal >

Singer Featherweight - Cleaning the gold decal

Singer Featherweight - Cleaning the gold decal

Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 AM
mac

Question Singer Featherweight - Cleaning the gold decal

Ooops! A steal, sort of...

Went to an estate sale and found a Featherweight. It wasn't in the best condition, but the case was in better condition than the ones that I owned. It had 4 of the feet that go with the machine. It is a 1935 machine, the wiring was a mess on the foot peddle and when I plugged it in, it wouldn't sew. I used my own foot peddle and it still wouldn't sew. I asked the lady, who was asking $175.00 for the machine, if she would take less. If the machine was running, $175 would have been a fair price. After much hemming and hawing we agreed on $95.00. I took the machine and ran.

I called two sewing repairmen that I knew and they said that it was a good deal, because the parts alone would sell for more than I paid. However, a new motor would cost about $112.00, plus labor. I figured that it would stay in my closet until I had the money to fix it.

Before I put it away, I thought that I would replace the felt pad, clean and oil the machine so it wouldn't be so smelly once I got around to having it fixed. I plugged it in one last time and lo and behold the machine worked. Now I feel sort of guilty for getting such a big break on the price under such false conditions.

Here is my question, finally: It looks like someone tried to clean the machine with turpintine or another strong chemical, because you can see a smear of gold across the black paint. Does anyone know what I should use to see if the smear will come off? I thought of using carnuba wax, but I'm waiting for other suggestions before sealing it with the wax.

Thanks for help.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
It looks like someone tried to clean the machine with turpintine or another strong chemical, because you can see a smear of gold across the black paint.
It was probably alcohol, which dissolves pretty much everything coating the cast iron. That be a warnin'!
To get rid of the excess, I would use car cutting compound. It's a very, very gentle way to remove a thin layer of paint (or whatever). The harder you rub, the more paint it takes off.
Use (obviously) only with a very clean, soft cotton. Read the instructions, too. Sometimes the manufacturer recommends wetting the cloth first.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 AM
mac

Whoa! I hadn't a clue that alchohol would do that to the gold. In fact, I've never thought of what to clean a vintage machine with -- what would you use? The most I've done to them is wax them with carnuba wax.

Thanks, very much, for the suggestion. I'll try it.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:25 AM

I have learned to CLEAN vintage machines with decals by using sewing machine oil and cotton balls or soft flannel cloth.

Only in the very very worst cases will I use Hoppes #9 gun cleaning solvent as it's mostly kerosene and to date has not damaged any decals for me.

Denatured alcohol and to a lesser extent rubbing alcohol are solvents of a different nature and I don't let them near the finish on older machines.

I really don't know what to do to clean the smeared decals on your machine.

Joe
Old 08-09-2013, 09:53 AM

congrats on the good deal! no guilt, it did not run till you worked on it, so no worries there.
I got the DVD and book by David R McCullum on how to care and fix your FW, best buy I have made in months, as I have 5 FW and taking them in ti be serviced would cost more than I paid for the machines, over time, so now even I can fix and care for my machines, am so not what one would call handy at fixing things, but this DVD really makes me feel even I can do it. I would not be with out the book and DVD now, he even shows how to fix the case and get rid of stinky smell!! just a happy camper here not in any way related or what ever, ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Check with Glenn next week - he's at a TOGA for now.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:02 AM

Good to see you are doing better and back on the board. Welcome back.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I have learned to CLEAN vintage machines with decals by using sewing machine oil and cotton balls or soft flannel cloth.

Only in the very very worst cases will I use Hoppes #9 gun cleaning solvent as it's mostly kerosene and to date has not damaged any decals for me.

Denatured alcohol and to a lesser extent rubbing alcohol are solvents of a different nature and I don't let them near the finish on older machines.

I really don't know what to do to clean the smeared decals on your machine.

Joe
Old 08-10-2013, 10:53 AM

Congratulations on your FW. Am glad the FW found a good caring home.

Here is a website for lots of excellent FW maintenance/repair information. The Tip of the Month (and index) is a great way to look up info that you are needing. www.novamontgomery.com

Hope the website helps you.