Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer made in Taiwan - Tension issues >

Singer made in Taiwan - Tension issues

Singer made in Taiwan - Tension issues

Old 05-27-2019, 04:59 AM

Default Singer made in Taiwan - Tension issues

I have been given a singer 9030 made in Taiwan machine. this machine will not stitch. the tension is messed up. I have taken it apart and put it back together a number of ways but still nothing. does any one know how this tension is suppose to go together. thanks
Old 05-27-2019, 05:44 AM

I discovered the tension spring is missing, the coil spring is missing, I am not sure is this machine is worth saving
Old 05-27-2019, 05:57 AM

Actually, I have no idea. The questions I would be asking are:
1. How much do you have invested in it?
2. Has it sewed for you at all, and if so, did you like the result?
3. How much are the parts (if you can get them)?
4. How confident are you that the tension is the only issue?
5. Is the machine for your use or do you plan to sell it?
6. If you plan to sell it, what do you think you can get for it?
7. If you plan to sell it, how much time are you willing to invest in it?

It's really a question of how much is reasonable to invest in it. Since it's electronic, how old is the machine and how long can you expect the machine to last?

I don't know the answer to those questions and have no experience with electronic sewing machines, so I can supply questions, but no answers.

bkay
Old 05-27-2019, 06:09 AM

This is a little newer than what I'm familiar with. Do you have a manual for it? https://www.singer.com/support

I also found http://parts.singerco.com/CPpartChar..._9034_9044.pdf It looks like the tension module is one unit and isn't broken out. "137574-001" is the part number. I also noticed that it was called "demand responsive needle tension system." I don't know if it would have different insides than the older fashioned tension assemblies.

I also noticed that it takes Apollo bobbins which are slightly different than a class 66 bobbin. I know someone had problems until they actually got the correct bobbin. http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/bobbins/ is where I found measurements for the different bobbins.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 05-27-2019 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site links
Old 05-27-2019, 04:33 PM

thanks for the information. the machine was given to me, so no investment. I have other machines so I think I will just do away with this one. I prefer older machines anyway. this machine has some stiches I could use but it is not worth the trouble. I did discover there is no take up spring. None of the tension diagrams look like this tension. It is just a odd duck
Old 05-28-2019, 07:33 AM

if you want to mess with it, tension springs are rather cheap. IF you can find the proper one.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 AM

That particular machine has a grease put on it from the factory that hardens into a wax. It really slows down with age and the tension is one of the worst. Throw it away and see if you can find an old Kenmore with front-loading bobbin. I can usually get them for less than $25 at the thrift store.