Singer stylist 457

Old 09-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Default Singer stylist 457

I just bought this stylis 457 The motor seems to run fine but the bobbin thread won't pull up and the bobbin doesn't rotate. Is there any suggestion on how to fix it or what might be wrong.
Thanks for any suggestion
Dixie
Attached Thumbnails dsc04161.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 09:13 AM

Is the needle in correctly? If it's backward it won't pick up the thread. If it's right then you might have a timing problem. The bobbin won't move unless the needle pulls the thread from it.
Rodney
Old 09-01-2015, 10:28 AM

yes the needle is put in correctly. I just notice that a gear on the top half of the machine is broken when I took the bottom plate off it was laying in the pan. Maybe I there is no hope for this as I don't know how to get down to where its located to put a new one on. Then would I have to retime it. So many questions
Old 09-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

I just Googled Singer 457 Stylist. All kinds of information and few videos. You may want to get cup of your favorite beverage, sit back and watch.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:11 PM

It's called the vertical shaft top gear. They are the normal ones to break on this model of machine. They are not too hard to replace but you do have to retime the needle to hook.

The gears can be had here: { http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sin...ine-parts.aspx }.

Joe
Old 09-02-2015, 01:58 PM

I just pulled mine out- it was part of my mom's herd I inherited. weird that it seems almost identical to her 237 except I think it's a drop in bobbin instead of the vertical one and has a dial for zigzag or blindstitch i think..otherwise looks pretty much the same. was bidding on a different one on ebay -347 I think- but got outbid and that was ok - it was just blue LOL! hopefully I'll have better luck...
Old 09-02-2015, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
It's called the vertical shaft top gear. They are the normal ones to break on this model of machine. They are not too hard to replace but you do have to retime the needle to hook.

The gears can be had here: { http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sin...ine-parts.aspx }.

Joe
Joe is right: This gear is broken on nearly all of these machines. I had to replace one a couple of years back on daughter's 498 stylist. It's a bit of work, and the gears usually cost more than the machine did (the 498 was $7.50) but afterwards you'll have a pretty decent machine and the gears are unlikely to need replacement for another 40 or more years.

The hook timing is easy enough: Good experience and you can even watch someone do it on youtube.