sneak peak

Old 03-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Default sneak peak

Look what I found!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:15 PM

Very cool!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:26 PM

I figured if anyone could guess what this was from that picture - it'd be jlhmnj - a true Davis fan.

DH came in with me to work this afternoon (84 miles away) so he could get two rather large, heavy boxes banded for shipment (this is the base, the machine head will be packed this weekend). After work, we headed to the other side of the MO river to check out an antique shop over there. We were walking around - and spied this little jem. I've got a soft spot for smaller machines (DH thinks that soft spot is in my head).

And then after looking it over more, I just HAD to bring her home. I broke a bunch of my self set limits with this one, but for $80 I could not leave her there.

Here she is -with her larger but much younger sibling.

A very early Davis Vertical Feed treadle machine

With boat shuttle and one bobbin

And the bobbin winder - located on the treadle base

It flips down and would run on the metal wheel along side the belt grove.

This is such a neat machine!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 PM

Congrats on your new machine! Certainly different from it's more modern cousins. I like the open casting on the back. Given it's age it appears to be in good shape.
Rodney
Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 PM

Very neat! I like the 3/4 machines too, although I only have a Singer 99 (had a 127 hand crank but sold it). I did see an Eldridge 3/4 machine today that I really wanted but was out of my budget ($90).

Jp
Old 03-12-2014, 07:19 PM

A bargain at twice the price.

The size difference is more Low Arm vs. High Arm rather than full sized vs 3/4 size. A similar comparison could be made between a Singer New Family and Singer VS2 (27).

Jon
Old 03-12-2014, 08:31 PM

Oh my!! She looks like the one I have that I'm still working on. (Well, I haven't worked on mine for awhile.) And you got the irons!! Fantastic. I'd love to find a set of irons for mine. Without irons, I don't know exactly how I'm going to wind the bobbin. Is it in working condition? It looks pretty good. .... makes me want to get back at mine. Congrats.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:07 AM

This cabinet would have had a drawer stack on the side with the flip part of the table - anyone have a good picture of what the drawers would have looked like? I've seen some but they are distant enough that I can't get a good look at them.

I know the owner of this antique shop quite well, and he told me that someone had really wanted to buy just the foot pedal off this machine - because it says "Davis" on it. They wanted to hang it on their wall.

I know this machine isn't a "3/4" size as that is the "full size" of the machines made at the time, they just started making them bigger after this - the "high arm" style, which isn't high arm compared to what we'd call "high arm" today. So I have the first version of the Davis walking foot, and the last version of the Davis walking foot.

I broke several "rules"
1. No Boat Shuttle machines
2. Different enough than what I already have (I had a Davis Walking foot machine already)
3. Model was offered for sale during the 1900-1930 period, or it's an earlier model that is substantially the same.
4. NO MORE TREADLE CABINETS

Though #4 is simply because I'm out of room, but I need to do a better job of sticking to the other three. I'm not tempted by the earlier machines that don't have the "look" of the later machines. I didn't really want a Wilcox and Gibbs, except that they were one of the major payers in the market during the time I'm collecting, so I needed one of them too. I'll leave the funky looking machines to SteveH.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 AM

Very nice! I love the bobbin winder on the irons. Now....where did you say you're going to put that machine? LOL. Just kidding, of course. I know you'll find a nook, or cranny somewhere.

I'm so glad the dealer didn't sell just the foot pedal. Marauders and cannibals...every one!

~Cindy
Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Banned

well, if it becomes an issue, you know where to ship it... same place as the banded boxes!!!!

That Davis is on my short list.... Very nice!