Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
tension trouble singer model 15-91 >

tension trouble singer model 15-91

tension trouble singer model 15-91

Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 PM

Default tension trouble singer model 15-91

Oh boy I think I am in a pickle. I purchased a singer model 15-91 that I felt was in great shape but I think I messed up the needle tension
the stitch was spot on but I have somehow messed up the tension. I tried to adjust needle tension by turning counterclockwise because it appears the needle thread was to tight and it has made no difference. I tried clockwise no difference. The bottom thread seems to be ok. Boy I sure could use your knowledge and help. Here is a picture of the machine. I tried to take pics of stitching but picture is not good. Ok, tried to post pic wouldn't post. Will try again
Old 07-13-2013, 09:44 PM

Hi,

Excellent manual with a section on tension for your model (15k) and owners manual

http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...54a175ca4c.pdf

Upper tension is tight no matter how much you decrease the tension? Could be thread wrap around or lint between tension discs. The discs can be flossed without taking apart.

Jon
Old 07-13-2013, 10:35 PM

The first time I tried to sew with my 15-91 I had tension problems as well. It wasn't until I read the instruction that I realized the needle threads from right to left.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 PM

Also, check the direction your bobbin thread is going. It does matter and so does the direction of the top thread. They are wonderful machines, I love mine and when the tension is off it is usually because I thread the bobbin wrong.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi,

Excellent manual with a section on tension for your model (15k) and owners manual

http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...54a175ca4c.pdf

Upper tension is tight no matter how much you decrease the tension? Could be thread wrap around or lint between tension discs. The discs can be flossed without taking apart.

Jon
Lint or thread between the tension discs will cause the upper tension to be too loose. It will hold them apart slightly so you can't get the tension tight enough on your thread.....
Old 07-14-2013, 04:21 AM

Before messing around alot with the tension, I'd check both top and bobbin threading. Re-set your tension to the original position, rethread everything - in the proper directions - and see if that resolves your issue. Then go from there. Remember to write down all your settings as you go and the results who you know what is/is not improving.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:48 AM

Thank you everyone for taking your time to help me. Very much appreciated.
path49... good reference for the future I flossed as suggested and it was clean. I was not looking forward to taking tension apart.
jlhmnj..... thank you for the sites. I do have the manual but good to know where to go if I need to ( have bookmarked)
quiltingcandy....checked bobbin threading was correct thanks for your suggestion
pennycandy....your the winner rechecked the manual and yep I missed the back guide behind the tension. Thank you.
My stress level is now back in check and can't thank you all enough.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Before messing around alot with the tension, I'd check both top and bobbin threading. Re-set your tension to the original position, rethread everything - in the proper directions - and see if that resolves your issue. Then go from there. Remember to write down all your settings as you go and the results who you know what is/is not improving.
Good to know and you bet I will be writing tension setting down. tension problems are no fun. Thank you
Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 AM

I recently purchased a 15-91, it had tension problems too, I relented and sent it in for a servicing and tension adjustment.