Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thanks to Miriam and a suicide knob, I have a new hand crank!

Blog Entries

Thanks to Miriam and a suicide knob, I have a new hand crank!

I have been looking forever for a while for a way to add a hand crank to my Minnesota B. it has no machine boss, and up to now I'd been out of luck. Last week Miriam had suggested the use of a tractor steering knob ( or suicide knob) to turn the wheel. Well I went in search of one in an auto parts store and found out they were illegal for cars, but they suggested eBay. The knob came today - it wasn't the black like it was shown (or new in box either) - but it worked out pretty good. Now the Minnesota can finally be counted as a useable machine. Yay!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job on the creative fix! Looks like the machine already has a cute operator too!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I'm planning too to put a suicide knob on the spoked wheel of a Singer 15 for my DD who is 4 years old. Thanks for sharing this cute picture; it encourage me to go ahead with this project!

Blog Entries
    The suicide knobs/steering wheel spinners are pretty easy to install. Some machines will have less space between spokes and will need a smaller knob. My DGKs love the machines I set up for them to use. As a safety precaution, I would be sure to find a finger guard to put around the needle even though it isn't fool proof. It is easier to get the eyes off the needle when they are using a hand wheel to turn the machine.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    The suicide knobs/steering wheel spinners are pretty easy to install. Some machines will have less space between spokes and will need a smaller knob. My DGKs love the machines I set up for them to use. As a safety precaution, I would be sure to find a finger guard to put around the needle even though it isn't fool proof. It is easier to get the eyes off the needle when they are using a hand wheel to turn the machine.
    Love those needle guards! The 127 my other DGD uses has one - this one has the needle removed until I get another one!

Deplaylady, I imagined you to be a little bit older. lol Getting her started early, are ya? See's a cutie.
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinglady-1 View Post
    Deplaylady, I imagined you to be a little bit older. lol Getting her started early, are ya? See's a cutie.
    Lol - I am a bit older - well, depends on what you consider older. Grand kids keep you younger. Most days! My 5 year old DGD started making pillows when she was 2 1/2, so this this one has a few months until she actually will be allowed to attempt a seam. Maybe earlier, we'll see. She's happy to watch right now.

Blog Entries
    Take the needle out and let her have at it.

Blog Entries
    Here is a close up of a suicide knob on a Singer 66 (redeye) The knob came from NAPA. You have to ask for a 'Tractor Steering Wheel Spinner' - they aren't legal on cars... if you have a smaller machine you may need a smaller spinner. That is one cute little girl - I would put her in my pocket and take her home.
    Name:  4H 011.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  145.0 KB

Such a good idea! How many times will the needle go up and down with one rotation of the wheel?
    ETA: Your granddaughter is adorable!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    Such a good idea! How many times will the needle go up and down with one rotation of the wheel?
    ETA: Your granddaughter is adorable!!!
    One Turn = One Stitch - the kids don't care. They are only learning anyway. The one stitch per turn is easy to control. They need to get used to having a needle. They need to get used to not pushing or pulling material through the machine. They need to use their left hand for something. When they are ready they can use a faster machine.

I had an old handcrank 128 that I was fixing up and the kids had fun learning to sew straight lines on notebook paper with no thread in the machine. When they got bored with straight lines they moved on to writing their names -- sort of like free motion quilting.
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries
    The needle just goes up and down once with each rotation - perfect for a little girl, although there's no needle in it yet. (She doesn't seem to care!) The picture of the knob on the redeye was what I bid on as pictured NIP on eBay - I received the silver out of a package in rolling around in a box instead - paper work with it said it was NIP also. I'm not sure how to leave feedback. It does work and I don't care about the looks (I don't think aluminum rusts), but it's really not what I expected. Here's a picture as advertised:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
    The needle just goes up and down once with each rotation - perfect for a little girl, although there's no needle in it yet. (She doesn't seem to care!) The picture of the knob on the redeye was what I bid on as pictured NIP on eBay - I received the silver out of a package in rolling around in a box instead - paper work with it said it was NIP also. I'm not sure how to leave feedback. It does work and I don't care about the looks (I don't think aluminum rusts), but it's really not what I expected. Here's a picture as advertised:
    They sent you the upgraded model. Don't complain.

We used to put them on pickup truck steering wheels, but we called them knicker knobs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    They sent you the upgraded model. Don't complain.
    Yay! It does look better with the color of the wheel!