Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is there any hope for this craigslist find?

Is there any hope for this craigslist find?

I spotted this Singer 319W on craigslist.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/for/2796500720.html

It looks to be in pretty rough shape and missing some parts. I would love to fix it up back to it's former glory but I am worried that getting parts maybe difficult or very expensive. Anyone know anything about working on this model?

Thanks

P.S. I saw it first!
    Seriously. Okay, I'm kidding, kind of. lol.

Blog Entries
    Sounds way to expensive to me.

Those 3 machines look so-o-o sad

If you don't mind waiting a better one will come along...for a better price! I bought a 319, on CL, for $50 that was in really nice shape, with it's original carrying case.
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries
    I'd pass. You're looking at a LOT of rust there...
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I'd pass. You're looking at a LOT of rust there...
    It's very sad isn't it.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it is. All of those machines would be awesome machines if someone had just cared enough to take care of them, or at least keep them out of the elements.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

They sure do not appeal to me. They should pay someone to take them away

Yeah, sadly, I think those poor dears are just too far gone. It's so sad, especially since the seller seems to think he can get something for them.

Too far gone to try to fix, I'm afraid.

Blog Entries
    Not worth the effort in my opinion.
    Abiding in the Vine

I've refurbished 2, 319's and the parts are not cheap. If it were free, it may be worth your time, elbow grease a some money for parts, but I agree with everyone else. Keep looking.

You know a vintage machine is really far gone when the consensus here is that it's not worth the time. : (

the 319 is a really fast sewing machine. but--the bobbin area is hard to reach & replace. just drives me crazy when
    I use it. especially would be awful to replace bobbins if you were FMQ. it also takes a different needle, while not
    impossible to get, is more expensive to buy and not all the different ones available. I can tell you that much without
    looking at the machine. if it is over $30, it is too high.

OMG !!!! I just looked at them. the whole mess is not worth $10. you would think someone would be ashamed
    to even list them. run away fast.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty View Post
    the 319 is a really fast sewing machine. but--the bobbin area is hard to reach & replace. just drives me crazy when
    I use it. especially would be awful to replace bobbins if you were FMQ. it also takes a different needle, while not
    impossible to get, is more expensive to buy and not all the different ones available. I can tell you that much without
    looking at the machine. if it is over $30, it is too high.
    I have to say I completely disagree with your opinion of the 319. I don't find it very fast, really and I've had two. It's one of my favorite vintage machines. I don't find the bobbin case that much of a problem and it doesn't FMQ, so there's really no problem with that. Quite a few vintage machines take specialty needles and that's also something that when you buy this particular machine you have to accept in advance. As for the price, they go for much more than $30 typically. They're an awesome stitching maching and it rivals my 401 and 301 for stitch quality and has more cams available than the 401/500!

those machines are junk,,i would not spend the money on them,,i sewed on commercial machines for years in a sewing factory,so i know what are good machines,,if you are looking for a commercial machine,i know where there are some for sale,,,,you will have to buy another motor cause these are 3 phase,,,but motors aren't that expensive,,,and the head table and legs comes with these machines,,,almost ready to sew on with new motor..if interested pm me and i will get you the info,,thanks

I think I'd pass on those machines.
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

Quote Originally Posted by carolyne2421 View Post
    those machines are junk,,i would not spend the money on them,,i sewed on commercial machines for years in a sewing factory,so i know what are good machines,,if you are looking for a commercial machine,i know where there are some for sale,,,,you will have to buy another motor cause these are 3 phase,,,but motors aren't that expensive,,,and the head table and legs comes with these machines,,,almost ready to sew on with new motor..if interested pm me and i will get you the info,,thanks

I'm actually not that interested in getting a commercial machine. Out of the three the guy is selling I am only interested in the 319W. It is on my wishlist of machines. I have been bit by the vintage machine bug and wish that I had found this interest earlier, I totally wish now that I had become a sewing machine repairperson. I feel like I am too far into my school path to make a change now though.

I still can't get this 319W out of my head. I know it is in terrible condition, but I think I will keep the guys number and see in a few weeks if he will sell just the 319 for a much lower price. Like maybe $10-$15. We'll see.

If you can get it for $10 it would be worth it just for the parts.