Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is There a Point to me Hanging onto my Featherweight? >

Is There a Point to me Hanging onto my Featherweight?

Is There a Point to me Hanging onto my Featherweight?

Old 07-26-2016, 06:29 PM

It makes a good backup machine for when your newer one is in for service.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
Several years ago, my daughter gave me a Featherweight to take to classes. It was well worn, but it sews like a dream. I use it every day. All of my quilt tops are made on that Featherweight. My expensive Bernina is used only for FMQ and appliqué. There is no way I would part with that beat up old Featherweight. I love, love, love that machine!
This is me. I use mine every day. I use my expensive Elna for FMQ , applique, zig zags and heirloom sewing. The featherweight is indispensable for sewing clothes because of its narrow feed dog , it turns curves closely and super accurately. You cant have mine for any price.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 AM

I, like you, really thought I wanted one...found a good deal in excellent condition, so it came home with me. Then realized I, like you again, prefer more modern options........although, I did learn to sew on my grandmothers treadle..thought that was fun! So, the machine now lives somewhere else....I have no regrets. I guess it's like any other collectible...and I do have a FEW! But, somethings just aren't what I want to collect....like I don't want a model T in my garage......
Old 07-27-2016, 03:52 AM

Acouple of thoughts. The beige FW is far less common than the black or white FW. However, I don't think it will command a much higher price because of its color. Vintage machines, including the FW, are very easy to maintain yourself without needing to send it to a repairman to clean and tune up each year. As others mentioned, it would make a good back up machine while yours goes in for maintenance.
I have 3 FWs and wouldn't sell them for anything. Such a great straight stitch, and so portable! I can sew in any room in my house instead of sequestering myself in my sewing room. When quilting, I use a straight stitch 95% of the time and only have to use my modern machine for blanket stitch and zig-zag, so my FW fills the bill for me. I don't get why people feel they need tons of fancy stitches on their machines, my guess is most of them go unused. I do miss the needle up/down feature when using my FW, but it isn't that much trouble to turn the hand wheel.
It is just a personal preference, there are advantage/disadvantages if you use vintage and also if you use modern machines! Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-27-2016, 04:28 AM

If you don't enjoy using it, if it has no sentimental value, if you're not a collector, get rid of it.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:46 AM

I much prefer the modern machines for every day sewing, but I love my FW collection for the history it represents. However I do collect sewing machines.

if it's only something that is dragging you down, or holding you back from doing/getting something you would rather have, then it's not worth hanging on to.

BTW- 1961 is my birth year also, I have a beige FW from that date.

on eBay, the White (celery) ones command about $50-$100 more than black and the beige about twice the black. And the 222 (open arm) about twice the beige. (this is for nice condition with case and cords/foot pedal)

$250 for black, $300 - $350 for celery, $500 for beige, $1000+ for 222
Old 07-27-2016, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
It makes a good backup machine for when your newer one is in for service.
I agree. Keep it as a backup. I always wanted one but could not afford one then and not now. Anyway. I am getting nearer to the end of my quilting days.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

I am going to buy one to take to classes. My big machines are just too heavy for me to cart around now.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:27 AM

I don't know if you are a grandparent or are lucky enough to have young kids around. I have discovered how much they love to press the pedal for me while I sew. This usually peaks their interest in how the machine works. For this reason, the simplicity of the Featherweight is hard to beat. My three year old grand just started "helping" me last weekend and is in LOVE with sewing. Over the 4th of July holiday, we had other guests here including a 4 year old boy. He took to the idea of sewing like a duck to water! This little machine can handle the use (and misuse while learning) much better than our electronic machines making supervision of these learning youngsters much more enjoyable and fun for me. You may have a youngster who falls in love with sewing and be lucky enough to gift them with the machine they learned on down the road as their passion for our craft grows.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
If you don't enjoy using it, if it has no sentimental value, if you're not a collector, get rid of it.
I agree. I have the 301a that belonged to my mother. It's the machine that I learned to sew on. For years I kept it just for sentimental reasons. Thanks to the wonderful women here on QB I finally got it out and sewed on it. Unlike you, I LOVE piecing on the 301a. Yes, it's very rudimentary compared to my Bernina. No, it doesn't have all the features of a more contemporary machine. But I like the pretty straight stitch that you get from a vintage machine that that is all it does. As my husband who is very mechanical says, anything that is made to do only one thing usually does it much better than something made to do a lot of things. So I thoroughly enjoy using it. However, I may have kept it just for sentimental value. If you don't have either of these things with this machine, and especially if you could use the money, sell it and use the money where you want.