Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is there such a thing as a Singer 66 seam guide? >

Is there such a thing as a Singer 66 seam guide?

Is there such a thing as a Singer 66 seam guide?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
I was wondering about glueing a bit of felt onto the end of the guide where it hits the machine. And a magnetic business card is interesting, I will have to look for one. I know I don't want to use tape after the fight to remove tape residue from some of my machines. Does the painter's tape release easy enough to not damage the finish?
just take it off asap... anything you leave on for long is a problem whether you screw it on or glue it on. The business cards can be found in a lot of places - we used to get them in the junk mail all the time.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Banned

I've used painters tape, masking tape(gasp!), post it notes, you name it. As long as the finish on the machine is good, or you don't leave the tape on the machine then store it in a hot attic, you should be fine. I use TR3 as part of the cleaning process and I haven't had a problem (yet) with tape harming any of my machines. The only machine I have with tape damage came to me that way. My FW has baked on old medical tape on it and I've not found anything that will get the adhesive off without hurting the machine. The top of the tape flaked off but the bottom adhesive part seems impervious to the usual methods of removal.

Cari
Old 09-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I've used painters tape, masking tape(gasp!), post it notes, you name it. As long as the finish on the machine is good, or you don't leave the tape on the machine then store it in a hot attic, you should be fine. I use TR3 as part of the cleaning process and I haven't had a problem (yet) with tape harming any of my machines. The only machine I have with tape damage came to me that way. My FW has baked on old medical tape on it and I've not found anything that will get the adhesive off without hurting the machine. The top of the tape flaked off but the bottom adhesive part seems impervious to the usual methods of removal.

Cari
Glenn got medical tape off one of mine. It does have some scars but he did a remarkable job of getting it off. He just used his usual method of cleaning and went over it a million times.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:15 AM

The only minor problem I have with the metal guide is on my Rodney machine. The needle plate sticks up just a bit past the surface of the bed so the metal guide doesn't screw down where the part that touches the cloth is nice and tight on the plate. I need a spacer under the guide to fix the problem. Just a minor annoyance.
Rodney
Old 09-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

use the sticky note or painter tape and pull it off at the end of the project...
Old 09-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Glenn got medical tape off one of mine. It does have some scars but he did a remarkable job of getting it off. He just used his usual method of cleaning and went over it a million times.
I've gotten a tiny bit of it off soaking in oil and warming it up then using my fingernail. Got a little of it off but it was still scratching the bed plus it was taking forever and getting boring. I'll just live with it.

Cari
Old 09-28-2014, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The only minor problem I have with the metal guide is on my Rodney machine. The needle plate sticks up just a bit past the surface of the bed so the metal guide doesn't screw down where the part that touches the cloth is nice and tight on the plate. I need a spacer under the guide to fix the problem. Just a minor annoyance.
Rodney
I've got several clones like your Rodney and use the same guide on all of them. Never had a problem. Some of them actually sit on the needle plate screw when I have them set for a 1/4" seam. So far they work OK for me.

However you can keep your eyes open for one of those that came with the left homing machines or the machines where the feed dog would interfere when you have a SS foot on the machine.

They have a relief cut on the guide face for the feed dogs. Those work OK too.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5432.jpg  
Old 09-28-2014, 12:44 PM

I have found that tape and magnetic cards or strips don't make much of a guide. As a reference point they're OK but the fabric just slides up and over them so they don't really guide anything. That's why I use the bed mounted ones for the most part, or the 1/4" foot with the guide blade on those machines it will fit on.

Joe
Old 09-28-2014, 06:18 PM

Sheri I had the same problem with my 127! Get rid of the gunk and it should fit OK.

Valerie

Last edited by Valeriekat; 09-28-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I have found that tape and magnetic cards or strips don't make much of a guide. As a reference point they're OK but the fabric just slides up and over them so they don't really guide anything. That's why I use the bed mounted ones for the most part, or the 1/4" foot with the guide blade on those machines it will fit on.

Joe
I stack the tape several layers high so it makes a good guide. Makes it easier to get hold of to peel it off too. I don't like the feet with the guide blade.

Cari