Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
They have car shows, why can't we have vintage sewing machine shows? >

They have car shows, why can't we have vintage sewing machine shows?

They have car shows, why can't we have vintage sewing machine shows?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I could see doing a repair spot. Most of the time it isn't really major. People could bring their problem old ladies...
Old 08-15-2013, 12:22 PM

I think Treadle On (a group that promotes people powered sewing machines) has periodic gatherings. I've seen them mentioned on other sites as TOGA. Their site is treadleon.net ... lots of interesting stuff there.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar View Post
I did see 373 machines at the store in Miami Beach area ---A clothing store that had machines on display and I wrote about few yrs ago, Couldn't really get up close and personal but still interesting to me --mostly portables brought over from UK I was told. Very well displayed. Brain on slow gear today to remember store name.
All Saints. It is impressive. I've been to the Seattle store and took pictures.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
ISMACS holds a yearly convention in the UK, we need something here!! Lol

maybe form our own society lol

VSMEOA - Vintage Sewing Machine Enthusiasts of America
ISMACS did hold one here in the US perhaps 4 years ago or so. I'm sure they'd be happy to get another one organized.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:09 PM

Well, I think somebody just needs to start one !
Old 08-16-2013, 03:42 AM

OMG OMG I want to come! All your ideas are great. In reading these posts about vintage machines, there is a great love for them. I have spent hours reading and drooling over the pictures. Wow to think I could see one up close .... I will help. Steve I like number 5 the best
Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Treadle On is a wonderful group. We have TOGAs=treadle on gathering and academy. They are held all over the USA and other countries. We do bring our machines and we learn lots of things and have a great time meeting with other people powered machine enthusiasts. www.treadleon.net. Join us! I have been a member since 2006, I love sewing with my treadles.
Sharon

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
I think Treadle On (a group that promotes people powered sewing machines) has periodic gatherings. I've seen them mentioned on other sites as TOGA. Their site is treadleon.net ... lots of interesting stuff there.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Banned

I think TOGA's are the answer at this stage.

I thought for about 24 hours that this might be something doable, but one pass through this thread makes it clear why not.

I'm attending the next Gold Country TOGA in September. Handcranks in tow. I will be doing our Victorian Sweatshop show at the Willits Kinetic Carnival the weekend before that with all of the treadles and just will not have the umph to move them all again...
Old 08-17-2013, 12:33 PM

I vote for Miriam's place for the sewing get-to-gether. She is in the midwest, and don't you know that all roads lead to or go through Indianapolis? Or at least they should. And besides, it's close to me! (as if where I live counts. ha ha)
And a better reason, Joe and Glenn know how to get there!!!!

Last edited by Janis; 08-17-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

It's not hard to find but it sure does need to be organized.... The shop is being remodeled and is a horrible mess. I will be at Heartnut, Janis, come see me - I've been working on setting up 4 derelict machines for kids to hand crank on 3X5 cards or paper bags down there. I put steering wheel spinners on them and DH built frames for them to set in. I have a redeye, a 127, a Franklin and a Vindex Special for kids to try. I need to make a sign that says UNATTENDED CHILDREN WILL BE SOLD TO THE CIRCUS. When I started this morning I figured none of them would actually sew. Now I'm not so sure some do... I haven't tested the others. The Vindex Special gave me the most grief with it's pressure foot not wanting to budge due to dried up oil. I got it though. I need to figure out how to put finger guards on that and the Franklin. DH says maybe we can put a paper clip on there or something. I say or something...