Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Third Featherweight

Blog Entries

Third Featherweight

I not a collector, but I keep spending my life savings on these little darlings. When I started on the QB I barely owned a 401A that was allotted from 1957 production serial numbers. Since I've been a member of the board I have acquire a vintage 1938 White (electric) and now the third celery white 1963 Featherweight. I have two black models one 1932 and the other a 1938. The 1932 has a straight engraved face-plate, the 1938 has the scrolled engraved face-plate. I hope that I don't have that turned around. They both are gorgeous ladies. So, I take them to the OMG and they oil them and tune them up for me. I'm not a mechanical person. The gentleman inquires about how many more do I have. I state just those two and then he mentions that he has a celery colored one and I have to see it. When I seen it I had to have it. I live in Kansas, but I purchased both of my ladies from Georgia. The celery lady I just purchased from Missouri. With a machine manual, four bobbins, and additional parts. such a buy. I was only lucky like this when I purchased the first FW. I am so thrilled to have this opportunity. When one day I'll luck up on a Kansas found hope that I will be able to purchase it when that happens.

Cherryb

They seem to be addictive. You get one. Then you want another and another...
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

Blog Entries
    I have a black one and a red one...would love to have a celery one!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Right now I have a white one on my kitchen table. I love sewing on it! My husband remarked the other day what a darling little machine it is. I had a total of 4 but gave one to my DIL and she loves it too!
    They are addictive

PS. I've never seen a celery. Can you post a pic?
    On maintenance- they are really easy to do yourself. The Featherweight Shop has lots of tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrybsixty View Post
    I not a collector,
    Cherryb
    yes you are

Blog Entries
    In the 80's, someone saw my FW and asked what it would be when it grew up! I was offended, but wonder if that person's machine from then works as well as my FW still does! I have 2 FWs and that's enough for me. :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I live in Topeka and I found a FW about a mile from me. It was listed as a 310 on Craigslist. I knew that was the motor. It was in my hungry hands within an hour of it's posting.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

Some 20s want to grwo up toe be 66s.https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...951-589908.jpg

Some have even bigger \aspirations like a 31-20 https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...51-593141.html

Blog Entries
    Good evening everyone, loving your well wishing to the thread.
    PamS, true they are addictive, I really would like to own two more a white and a red one
    luvstoquilt, oh wow, the red is gorgeous, I've seen one on the board years back
    SusieQOH, what a blessing to own a white one, I would be happy to post a pix of the celery one. But I am back to
    square one with transposing pix on the QB. A new phone and other lame excuses
    KalamaQuilts, you are right, and I am truly addictive to them
    coopah, I know you are right about how durable the little machines are that is why I love them so
    leonf,there is a place in Garnett or Fredonia KS that deals in Featherweights and Vintage machines, but I haven't
    had a chance to visit it. Just like our children, just in a hurry to grew up

Cherryb

Blog Entries
    Leonf, " Hungry Hands "!!! I bet you are a real character.

And here I sit without a single featherweight living in my vsm petting zoo. And some of you have (strangled cough) more than one?

I go through Garnett quite a bit and have been to Fredonia a few times, I'll check it out. and Yes, BattleAxe, I've been called a character many times. and I have two battle axes in my bed room. Hanging on the wall, but usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    Leonf, " Hungry Hands "!!! I bet you are a real character.
    I thought it was common knowledge that leonf is a character! A lovable one

Blog Entries
    oh how I love my FWs I am down to 4 right now ,white one went to one of my 4H students, black one went to a sister, another black one went to a quilter I met at the quilt show, so now just down to , one black, one blue, one teal green and one hot pink. any one who owns FW I highly recommend The featherweighrt 221 and I, by David McCallum, the book and the DVD Those fantastic Featherweights, also by David McCallum, both are complete how to for maintain your 221 &222 Plus a special section on the Singer 301. Now you have to know I am so not at all into fixing any thing with a motor, yet this manual and DVD I can and do it! I have saved so much by taking care of them on my own, more than paid for both manual and DVD. best buy after my first FW
    dare to dream

Blog Entries
    Good evening everyone well I see the thread is still alive, thank you for your kindness. Leonf, I spoke with my cousin and she says the FW guy is in Garnett KS, Leaha, I've been meaning to purchase that handbook by David McCullam. But, I always seem to push it back. I am really going to purchase one when I move to Georgia

Cherryb

Nonono don't move to Gerogia. Kansas is better.

If I run into a FW problem I can't solve I may go to Garnett.

Blog Entries
    leonf , I know, but my daughter says that I need 'adult supervision' so I'll be moving before the end of the year. Please post when you visit the store, please.

Cherryb

I've always worried about a "jury of my peers."

Just wait until you get a hankering for the 222! They are quite a bit rarer in the USA. So far, the patcher has the smallest open arm, with the 222 coming in second.

I have a 221 in black, tan and celery (white) and the 222 in black, along with the card table and the cabinet (early one with lift). They will most likely be among the last machines I part with. Which means my kids will probably inherit them. I'm made sure my kids understand their worth (along with my Singer attachment collection).
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I haven't seen a 222 in the wild. I guess I 'll have to make do with my Bradbury patcher handcrank.

Name:  karl glaes  bradbury.png
Views: 92
Size:  187.2 KB